At a glance: AppsFlyer helps app owners both attribute affiliate marketers and report relevant data to them.
Affiliate marketers can influence crowds and create a lot of traffic for app owners. However, compared with ad networks and owned media, working with mobile affiliate marketers is more challenging.
Click ad-networks don't require advertiser involvement; they use the single attribution link created by AppsFlyer.
Advertisers working with affiliate marketers must create and distribute a OneLink custom link per affiliate.
In AppsFlyer, ad networks are easily configured to receive app install and in-app event postbacks for their traffic. Reconciliation between ad networks and the advertiser is automatic and up-to-date.
Affiliate marketers usually don’t have the option to get postbacks from AppsFlyer, so the advertiser must carry out reconciliation with them periodically.
Attributing affiliate marketers
This section explains how advertisers successfully attribute and reconcile affiliate marketers who bring mobile traffic.
To attribute an affiliate marketer:
- Manually prepare a specific OneLink per affiliate
- Use OneLink API for links created in your systems
The following describes the recommendations for manual custom link creation. However, the recommended principals also apply for using OneLink API.
Go to OneLink custom links > Add custom link.
Begin with the Details tab.
- Enter the affiliate name as the link name; it will be easy to recognize in the OneLink template list of links.
- Customize the short URL with the affiliate name; this can improve affinity with their followers.
Now, follow these steps on the Attribution tab.
- Go to the Owned media source drop-down list. Select Custom and enter affiliates.
This enables aggregating all affiliate traffic under one media source.
- Go to the Campaign name field. Enter the affiliate name.
This enables you to easily see and compare all affiliates' data under the affiliates media source.
- [Optional] Add custom parameters to the link.
Example: An affiliate uses a CRM system that gets postbacks. Therefore, you can add the postback URL as a custom parameter to the attribution link.
- Send the custom link to the affiliate marketer.
- For a campaign that uses retargeting, read how to enable retargeting attribution for custom links.
- For a campaign that uses app-launching AND the affiliate advertises in social network apps, read how to create a landing page for social media apps.
Reconciling with affiliate marketers
There are 2 methods to reconcile with affiliate marketers:
|Method||When to use||Steps|
|Periodic updates using AppsFlyer data||
Periodically (usually monthly):
Note! If an affiliate brings user-acquisition traffic to more than 1 of your apps, use Custom dashboards to see all results on a single page.
|Real-time postbacks using app-owner systems||