There are two different Google AdWords/AppsFlyer configurations.
- Advertisers that opened an AppsFlyer account before 17 May 2017 should refer to the iOS documentation here and the Android documentation here.
- Advertisers that opened an AppsFlyer account after 17 May 2017 and have never configured Google AdWords on AppsFlyer should follow the guidelines below:
- As a prerequisite for the integration with Google AdWords, the app must collect IDFA / GAID.
For further information please refer to the SDK Integrations Guides for either iOS or Android.
- The new Google AdWords UI allows you to configure only a new UAC campaign. To configure all other specific campaign types, switch back to the old UI on Google Adwords' dashboard. For details, click here.
- Search iOS campaigns are not part of this API. To track them you need to switch back to the old Google Adwords UI and then follow the setup instructions here.
To set up a Google AdWords campaign and measure it with AppsFlyer, follow the below steps:
To start measuring Google AdWords app install campaigns with AppsFlyer, insert your Google AdWords Link ID in AppsFlyer's Dashboard (see example below).
1. Generate your Link ID in your Google AdWords dashboard, click here for more info.
2. Setup your campaign with Google AdWords. Click here and follow the instructions.
4. Configure your Link ID in AppsFlyer's Dashboard:
4.1 Click Integrated Partners on the left side of the screen
4.2 In the Integrated Partners page, select Google AdWords as the media source. You can do this by either scrolling down the page to Google AdWords or entering Google AdWords in the search box.
4.3 Copy your Link ID from the Google AdWords dashboard and paste it into the AppsFlyer dashboard.
4.4 Click Save & Close.
You may also set your desired attribution window at this time. The default value here is 30 days, same as in your Google AdWords console.
5. *** Important! ***
Import the first-open and in-app actions to Google AdWords to begin accruing conversions in Google AdWords and in your AppsFlyer dashboard.
For more details, see here.
6. In-App Events Configuration (optional)
In addition to the Link ID setup, you can enable the in-app events measured by AppsFlyer to be sent to Google AdWords. This allows you to better target and optimize your campaigns.
6.1 Click the In App Events tab in your Google AdWords Configuration:
6.2 Select sending All-in app events.
6.3 The first time you set the drop down to send All in-app events, all af_xxx in-app events are mapped automatically to Google AdWords events. If you would like to add custom events, click Click to add in app event mapping.
Notice that non af_xxx in-app events are mapped as CUSTOM, and are sent to Google AdWords with the event name shown on the AppsFlyer SDK Event side (e.g url_click in the above example, is mapped to the Google AdWords Events as “url_click”).
6.4 Click Save & Close.
Enabling Agencies Tracking of Adwords
While agencies can use their own accounts to provide Adwords traffic to advertisers, if the advertiser has its own Adwords account, the agency MUST use the advertiser's Google Link ID. For details, read this article.
Adwords Parameter Mapping
The table below is the parameter mapping between Google AdWords and AppsFlyer.
Example: If an advertiser is running a UAC campaign on Google AdWords, the RAW data report on AppsFlyer reflects the Channel, Campaign Name, Campaign ID and in some cases, also the Site ID.
NOTE: Advertisers cannot add personalized parameters to any Google AdWords campaigns.
|AppsFlyer Parameter Mapping|
|Campaign Type||Network Type||Channel (af_channel)||Campaign (c)||Campaign ID (af_c_id)||Adset (af_adset)||Adset ID (af_adset_id)||Ad (af_ad)||Ad ID (af_ad_id)||Ad Type (af_ad_type)||Site ID (af_siteid)||Keywords|
|UAC||Search||UAC_Search||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||GoogleSearch / SearchPartners||N/A|
|Video||UAC_Video||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||YouTubeVideos / YouTubeSearch /VideoPartners||N/A|
|Search||GoogleSearch||Search||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Ad ID)||Yes||Yes||GoogleSearch||
|SearchPartners||Search||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Ad ID)||Yes||Yes||SearchPartners||Yes|
|Display||mGDN||mGDN||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Ad ID)||Yes||Yes||Yes (Publisher app ID)||N/A|
|Video||AdMob||AdMob||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Ad ID)||Yes||Yes||Yes (Publisher app ID)||N/A|
|YouTubeVideos||YouTube||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Ad ID)||Yes||Yes||YouTubeVideos||N/A|
|YouTubeSearch||YouTube||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Ad ID)||Yes||Yes||YouTubeSearch||N/A|
|VideoPartners||YouTube||Yes||Yes||No (is auto populated with Adset ID)||Yes||No (is auto populated with Video ID)||Yes||Yes||VideoPartners||N/A|