This article is intended for advertisers using the new Google Ads, follow the guidelines below:
Retargeting (or Re-engagement) campaigns are campaigns targeting existing users of your app.
When a user clicks a retargeting campaign it launches the app directly using the deep link pre-configured in the app.
Your app must support deep links for you to run this type of campaign. Click here for more information.
Enabling Retargeting - AppsFlyer
To enable a Retargeting (Re-Engagement) campaign on Google Ads follow these steps:
- Make sure your app supports deep link.
- Enable retargeting campaigns for your app under app settings
- Toggle on the Google Ads retargeting toggle and click Save
- Importing Conversion - To track any conversion in Google Ads you must ensure conversions are imported based on the instructions in the article here.
Make sure you import the event
session_startto track app opens for re-engagement measurement campaigns (the event appears in the import window in Google Ads only after the retargeting integration traffic commences).
- Set your retargeting campaign in the Google Ads dashboard. Click here for more info.
- Google requires you to use deep links to advance the campaign. AppFlyer's Applinks/Universal Link are compatible with Google requirements.
- There is no need to add any additional parameter to the deep link (is_retargeting=true and pid=adwords is not required).
- Re-attribution (Re-install) tracking is not supported, only re-engagement, and the re-engagement window is 30 days.
- For information about Dynamic Re-marketing for apps, click here
Enabling Retargeting - Google Ads
Currently, there are no re-engagement campaigns in Google Ads new UI. To create re-engagement campaigns, you must switch back to the old UI.
- On the Campaigns tab, click + Campaign >> Display Network only. This also applies to Search campaigns.
- Select Engage with your Mobile App.
- Add all the required values at the campaign and ad level.
Under Direct link enter any valid deep linking URL or URL scheme.