This article details the process to integrate your AppsFlyer account with Google AdWords for Mobile App Install Campaigns on iOS.
This includes, configuring AppsFlyer tracking links and reporting conversions (both for installs and in-app events) for iOS Applications to Google AdWords.
The topic is divided into different sections:
### DISCLAIMER ###
Google AdWords Dashboard can receive Install Postbacks for iOS In-App Download Campaigns (Display) only.
If you are running iOS Mobile Web, Main Search and/or Partners Search (affiliates) campaigns, the installs are tracked by the AppsFlyer Dashboard but do not count in the AdWords Dashboard conversion. This might lead to a discrepancy in the conversions between AppsFlyer dashboard and Google AdWords dashboard.
IMPORTANT: Read this guide first before starting implementation.
Universal app campaigns allow you to promote your iOS app across Google Search, YouTube and Display in a single place of configuration.
Generally Google itself can't track iOS installs from search campaigns as the clicks come from mobile web sources, which prevent Google from pulling the IDFA from the devices, and from performing ID matching.
In contrast, iOS search on Universal App Campaigns (UAC) can be tracked by Google, for ads that are served on the Google Search App.
AppsFlyer can track installs for all types of iOS app install campaigns on Adwords, even if Google doesn't, through our integration with Google AdWords or through our NativeTrack™ 2.0 tracking method.
Note the following:
- You cannot modify the final URL or add a tracking template (unlike regular Search or Display campaigns in AdWords respectively).
- You must work with a different Conversion ID and Label to the ones used by the Advertiser - for an agency to promote an app using Universal Campaigns.
- You are not notified by Google where your ad is running, this information is provided by AppsFlyer in the Raw Data Reports under the Channel column.
- Impression and click counts will not be displayed on the AppsFlyer dashboard.
Be aware of the following requirement:
Universal App Campaigns
For Install Conversion tracking, you must take the Postback from AppsFlyer and paste it to your Google AdWords Account.
To set up Universal App Campaign, follow these steps:
1.1 Click + CAMPAIGN and select Universal App Campaign
1.2 Select in Mobile app the iOS app you want to promote.
1.3 Set the rest of fields according to your campaign requirements.
1.4 Click Save and continue.
There are 2 options:
2.1 If you want to work with a previously created conversion tracking, click Finish
2.2 If you wish to work with a different conversion tracking, click Manage conversion.
For details on AdWords Conversion, click here.
If you want to further measure the success of your Mobile App Install campaigns in Google, you can send in-app events to your Google AdWords account from your AppsFlyer account.
To send in-app events to Google AdWords, follow these steps:
Create a Conversion
1. Login into your Google AdWords Dashboard and create a new conversion.
- From the toolbar on the GoogleAdWords main page go to Tools >> Conversions
- Click +Conversion
2. Select App as the source of conversion you want to track
3. In the App conversions, select iOS and then select In-app Actions
4. Click Continue
5. Complete the fields, as requested, including name and value etc..
6. Click Save and continue
Set-Up Your Tracking Method
7. Select Set up a Server-to-Server conversion feed from an app analytics package to AdWords.
8. Copy the Conversion ID and Label to your AppsFlyer account.
9. Login into you AppsFlyer Dashboard, select the relevant application and click on the left top side on the Integrated Partners Configuration.
10. Search for Google AdWords, click on it and click on the In-App Events upper tab:
11. Select an option from the dropdown list. We highly advise selecting the "All in-app events" option, as this is mandatory for migrating to Adwords' new integration setup. Otherwise it's possible to select "Off" in order to avoid sending any in app events.
12. Enter the Conversion ID from the details you saved earlier.
13. Select Click to add in app event mapping
14. On the left side in the SDK Event select the event you want to send to Google AdWords.
15. In the Google AdWords label field, enter the Label you saved earlier.
16. Click Save & Close
How to Run Non-UAC Campaigns With Google's New API
On mobile apps, Google's New API works exclusively with Universal app campaigns. Advertisers that are using Google's new API, i.e. have Adwords link ID, and want to run Display, Search or Youtube campaigns MUST switch back to Google's old API.
Note - during the setup of the Display, Search or Youtube campaigns, advertisers receive new conversion ID and label.
Advertisers that are already linked to Adwords using the Link ID, should disregard these new IDs and labels.