Before starting this process, make sure the Facebook App ID is configured on the AppsFlyer dashboard. If you have already performed this, you can jump to step 2 below.
Configuring the Facebook App ID
To use Facebook mobile app ads, you must create a Facebook application. This does not mean you have to implement Facebook Login or integrate your app with Facebook; you only need an app on Facebook to get an app ID. If you do not already have one, you can create this by visiting the App Dashboard and clicking Create New App under Apps.
You are asked to provide a name for your app and a unique namespace.
Once you have the Facebook App ID simply go to Integrated Partners configuration select Facebook and paste the Facebook App ID in the appropriate place:
The In-App Events Tab
Select the option for what you want to do with sending in-app events to Facebook.
1. Off (to stop sending In-App events to Facebook).
2. Send All In-App Events (organic and non organic) to Facebook (For sending all In-App events to Facebook regardless of which media source generated them).
3. Once you have finished your configuration settings, click Save & Close.
Configuring In-App Event Mapping
Using the dropdown, select the event you would like to post to Facebook and then choose the event as predefined by Facebook or Custom event. Check Send Value to send the af_revenue parameter (if exists in the event). The rest of the parameters and values are sent along with the event in any case.
Since mapping events with Facebook entails data from ALL media sources used by the advertiser, agencies are not permitted to set this up.
Custom In-App Event Mapping
AppsFlyer allows you to map any custom in-app event to send to Facebook, by using the CUSTOM Facebook Event Tag option.
The event name and the event value (including the event parameters) configured in the SDK are forwarded to Facebook, as is.
Facebook does not use CUSTOM events for traffic optimization, only for measurement and audience segmentation in Facebook Analytics for Apps. For traffic optimization use Facebook's event tags.
Automatic Parameter Mapping with the CUSTOM Event
Through AppsFlyer's deep integration with Facebook there are dozens of SDK event parameters, which automatically get mapped to Facebook's pre-defined parameters. For example, af_revenue parameter is converted to the valueToSum parameter in Facebook, which allows you to put a revenue per event that can be monitored in the Facebook account.
The following table details all the AppsFlyer event parameters, which when mapped through the CUSTOM event to Facebook, get mapped into Facebook's parameters.
|AppsFlyer Parameter||Facebook Parameter|
Event and Parameter Limitations
There are several limitations Facebook imposes on the sent events data:
- An event can have up to 25 parameters.
- Event names and parameter names must be between 2 and 40 characters, and must consist of only alphanumeric characters, _, -, or spaces.
- The length of each parameter value can be no more than 100 characters.
- Event names on AppsFlyer MAY be called with a Facebook event name (i.e. fb_price), but then SHOULD NOT be sent as Custom events to Facebook. To keep on the safe side refrain from calling events with Facebook event names.
Except for the above parameters, AppsFlyer sends the CUSTOM events data as is to Facebook. It is the responsibility of the app owner to verify the events data is on par with Facebook's requirements.