AppsFlyer’s retargeting attribution mechanism allows advertisers to measure and analyze their retargeting and re-engagement campaigns, in addition to their attribution campaigns.
AppsFlyer’s retargeting mechanism works according to the following two methods:
The network sends the device ID to AppsFlyer on the Click URL which allows AppsFlyer to match this with the Device ID when the app is opened.
(Available IDs are IDFA / (Hashed Sha1) IDFA, GAID and (Hashed Sha1) GAID
For this to work, the correct version of AppsFlyer’s SDK must be implemented, as detailed below. Further, for Android apps, the code must be placed on all pages, whereas for iOS apps it is sufficient to place the code on the first page only.
Initial Requirements (for app owners)
To run retargeting campaigns the app must meet these minimum requirements:
Supported SDK version: 22.214.171.124 and higher.
If the Deep Link is opening an activity other than the main activity, please refer to the AppsFlyer SDK Integration - Android article and the section on Reporting Deep Links for Retargeting Attribution. (The article is based on the latest version of the SDK).
Supported SDK version: 126.96.36.199 and higher.
In addition to the standard integration, the app owner must add an extra code to the app delegate, see the AppsFlyer SDK Integration - iOS article and the section on Reporting Deep Links for Retargeting Attribution. (The article is based on the latest version of the SDK).
For iOS 9 Universal Link App Open code must be implemented. For more information on Universal Links, click here.
Enabling Retargeting Attribution on the Dashboard (for app owners)
For an app owner to enable retargeting attribution, follow these steps:
1. Go to app settings and enable Retargeting Campaign Measurement.
2. Go to Settings >> Integrated Partners and select the partner you want to run retargeting with and configure. Some partners may require the app owner to mark a specific checkbox for retargeting campaigns.
3. Once the app owner has selected the retargeting campaign (or any other campaign setting related to retargeting), the tracking link is updated with the relevant parameter is_retargeting=true.
3. Click Save & Close to save your retargeting configuration.
For details of the retargeting and deep linking click parameters for both Android and iOS, see here.
A retargeting campaign has two possible conversion types:
- When an existing user that has the app installed engages with the retargeting campaign
- Having the targeted user engaging with the retargeting campaign and causing them to re-install the app
Lifetime Value (LTV) Analysis for Retargeting Campaigns
AppsFlyer performs post-conversion analysis for both acquisition and retargeting campaigns.
- For acquisition campaigns, AppsFlyer calculates the LTV based on all events reported after the install attribution occurs
- For re-engagements on retargeting campaigns, AppsFlyer calculates the LTV based on all events reported after the retargeting attribution occurs and within the re-engagement attribution window
- For re-attributions on retargeting campaigns, AppsFlyer calculates the LTV based on all events reported after the retargeting attribution occurs
Re-Engagement Attribution Window
The re-engagement attribution window is the number of days in which an event can be attributed to a retargeting campaign. It starts when the retargeting attribution occurs and finishes at the end of the re-engagement attribution window. The default re-engagement attribution window is 30 days.
Retargeting Click-Through Lookback Window
This is the same as an acquisition campaign. The lookback window is configurable with the tracking link parameter:
When this is not configured, the default is 7 days.
Example14 Day Lookback Window
Tracking Link Structure
The tracking link is constructed of several different parameters, as follows:
- is_retargeting=true – mandatory – indicates that the campaigns is a retargeting campaign.
- idfa/advertising_id = represents the device id – mandatory if running retargeting campaigns via the device ID matching method. Optional if running retargeting campaigns via Deep Linking .
- af_dp= Deep Link place holder.
- af_reengagement_window = indicates the time frame of the attribution for the re-engagement campaign (the number can be updated manually after mutual agreement between the network and the app owner).
AppsFlyer only starts taking launches of the app in to account for retargeting campaigns beginning with launch 3.
For a complete list of partners supporting retargeting, click here.
For more information please read AppsFlyer’s Retargeting Attribution article.
If you are an ad network and would like to offer advertisers to run retargeting campaigns with you please reach out to your dedicated partner development manager or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.