Chartboost, one of AppsFlyer's integrated partners, is one of the largest mobile games-only ad platforms to increase revenue.
In addition to click-based mobile attribution, Chartboost also offers cost, ad revenue, and view-through attribution, which you can record with AppsFlyer.
Integrating Chartboost SDK is only necessary if you act as a Chartboost publisher and wish to attribute ad revenue. Otherwise, AppsFlyer SDK is all that is required. For more information, see this article's ad revenue section.
To configure your campaigns with Chartboost, follow the steps below.
Setting up Chartboost
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "Chartboost" in the search field and click on its logo to open Chartboost's configuration window.
Chartboost's configuration window includes 5 tabs: Integration, Attribution link, Cost, Ad Revenue, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
- The General Settings step in the Integration tab is mandatory for all partners
- All the rest of the steps are either descriptive or optional
On the first visit here, you will need to toggle ON the Activate Partner button to enable setup of the integration tab's parameters. The toggle MUST be ON for as long as you work with the partner.
For more details about partner activation please click here. </p
As an ALL-Installs network, Chartboost prefers to receive postbacks for all new installs of your app from ANY source, including organic. It is recommended to select Events attributed to any partner to send all install postbacks to Chartboost.
Chartboost requires connecting with AppsFlyer via a unique app ID If you do not know yours, you can obtain it directly from Chartboost.
Enable View-Through attribution
Toggle this to ON if you want to attribute view-through installs from Chartboost. The view-through lookback slider is available on the attribution link tab (described below).
AppsFlyer can send automatic postbacks to Chartboost following user installs and re-engagements. Use this section to define the source of the users that allow sending these postbacks.
Select Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to Chartboost.
Select Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to Chartboost.
In-app events settings
In this section you can map your AppsFlyer events with Chartboost via postbacks.
As part of its integration with AppsFlyer, this network receives notifications about every app launch. Therefore, the
af_app_opened event is not enabled, and not required, for this network.
- Toggle In-App Event Postbacks to ON
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Fill in the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated in your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on Chartboost's side.
Obtain the corresponding Event ID from Chartboost and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Attribution link tab
This tab is divided into different sections:
Attribution link parameters
In this section, select which parameters you want to add to the attribution link.
Adding parameters to the attribution link here enables you to later perform thorough drill-down analyses. Parameters that are already defined on the attribution link can be edited by adding them and their new values here.
- Campaign - add it to compare different campaigns running with Chartboost.
Attribution link parameter: c
- Adset - set ad set names to compare different ad sets within specific Chartboost campaigns.
Attribution link parameter: af_adset
- Ad Name - set ad set names to compare different creatives within specific ad sets within specific campaigns Chartboost.
Attribution link parameter: af_ad
- Site ID and Sub Site ID - set Site ID parameter to attribute installs to specific publishers. If many publishers exist, we advise on limiting the number of used site IDs and using the sub site ID parameter, to avoid exceeding the site ID limitations.
Attribution link parameters: af_siteid and af_sub_siteid
- Subscriber Parameters - use any of the 5 subscriber parameters to insert useful values. Note that these parameters get parsed and appear in the raw data report, which makes them very handy for performing data aggregation or filtering.
Attribution link parameters: af_sub1, af_sub2, af_sub3, af_sub4, af_sub5
Add any other parameter to the attribution link simply by typing it in a new parameter box. For more information about AppsFlyer's Attribution Link Structure and Parameters.
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to Chartboost.
Attribution link parameter: af_click_lookback
More details about the click lookback window here.
Click attribution link
This is the attribution link that contains all the setup information you have set for it. Send it to Chartboost to be activated when leads click on a corresponding ad.
View-through attribution lookback window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to Chartboost, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
Attribution link parameter: af_viewthrough_lookback
More details about the view-through attribution here.
Impressions attribution link
The impression attribution link contains similar attribution data to the click recording link (besides the different lookback window). Send it to Chartboost to be activated when a corresponding ad is watched, usually for 1 second or more.
Getting cost data
Chartboost s2s automatically sends CPI cost data on the attribution link for all installs.
Ad revenue tab
This section is relevant only if you are acting as a publisher, displaying ads of the partner to your users. As such, you would certainly like to measure the engagement of your users acquired from different sources, to find the most profitable sources for you.
Set the Get Ad Revenue Data toggle to display the Chartboost's required setup for revenue data. Follow the specific instructions on the partner's ad revenue section. For example, in the capture below the partner requires a simple login to its system.
To learn more about ad revenue (AKA Ad monetization) go here.
For the full list of partners supporting cost data, click here.
As a Chartboost publisher, there are two additional requirements besides AppsFlyer configuration:
- Integrate Chartboost SDK - this is only required if you act as a publisher. If you only use Chartboost to advertise your app, AppsFlyer SDK is all you need to integrate.
- Enable Chartboost S2S - this step is required to allow AppsFlyer to query Chartboost for ad revenue data. This should not be confused with AppsFlyer S2S which is your way of sending in-app events to AppsFlyer using dedicated API.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Chartboost, whether the partner acts as an ad network, agency or even both. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Chartboost, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to Chartboost.
Use these toggles to give the ad network permissions to handle its own configuration for your app:Ad Network Permissions
- Allow to configure integration - permit the partner to setup the integration tab (except in-app event postbacks)
- Allow to configure in-app event postbacks - permit the partner to setup in-app event postbacks mapping to itself on the integration tab
- Allow access to your retention report - only to the partner's own retention data
- Allow access to your aggregate loyal user data - only to the partner's own loyal user data
- Allow access to your aggregate in-app events data - only to the partner's own in-app events data
- Allow access to your aggregate revenue data - only to the revenue data attributed to the partner
- Allow access to your Protect360 dashboard - only to the partner's own Protect360 data, and providing the feature is enabled for the advertiser
Learn more about granting ad network permissions.
Discrepancies between Chartboost and AppsFlyer
Sometimes there are discrepancies between the Chartboost dashboard and AppsFlyer dashboard.
Advertisers should be aware of the following reasons:
Chartboost attribution window is 21 days
AppsFlyer lookback window is 7 days
** This is the main cause of discrepancies between AppsFlyer and Chartboost
Multi-Channel Source Attribution
Chartboost attribution works as specified above regardless of other sources.
AppsFlyer uses the last click attribution (For more information about AppsFlyer attribution, click here)
While Chartboost shows all installs of a retargeting campaign in the same place, on the AppsFlyer dashboard, installs are divided between the Overview page (new installs) and the Retargeting page (re-attribution and re-engagements).