StartApp, one of AppsFlyer's integrated partners, is an insight-driven mobile tech company that enables its partners to deliver the world's most fulfilling mobile experiences for their users.
In addition to click-based mobile attribution, StartApp also offers cost, retargeting and view-through attribution, which you can track with AppsFlyer.
To configure your campaigns with StartApp, follow the steps below.
Setting Up StartApp
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "StartApp" in the search field and click on its logo to open StartApp's configuration window.
StartApp's configuration window includes 4 active tabs: Integration, Tracking link, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
- The General Settings step in the Integration tab is mandatory for all partners
- All the rest of the steps are either descriptive or optional
The Integration Tab is divided into different sections as described below.
As an ALL-Installs network, StartApp prefers to receive postbacks for all new installs of your app from ANY source, including organic. It is recommended to select Events attributed to any partner to send all install postbacks to StartApp.
Enable View-Through attribution
Toggle this to ON if you want to attribute view-through installs from StartApp. The view-through lookback slider is available on the tracking link tab (described below).
AppsFlyer can send automatic postbacks to StartApp following user installs and re-engagements. Use this section to define the source of the users that allow sending these postbacks.
Select Only eventsattributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to StartApp.
Select Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to StartApp.
In-App Events Settings
In this section, you can map your AppsFlyer events with StartApp via postbacks.
- Toggle In-App Event Postbacks to ON
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Complete the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated in your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on StartApp's side.
Obtain the corresponding Event ID from StartApp and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Tracking Link Tab
This tab is divided into different sections:
Tracking Link Parameters
In this section, select which parameters you want to add to the tracking link.
Adding parameters to the tracking link here enables you to later perform thorough drill-down analyses. Parameters that are already defined on the tracking link can be edited by adding them and their new values here.
- Campaign - add it to compare different campaigns running with StartApp.
Tracking link parameter: c
- Adset - set ad set names to compare different ad sets within specific StartApp campaigns.
Tracking link parameter: af_adset
- Ad Name - set ad set names to compare different creatives within specific ad sets within specific campaigns StartApp.
Tracking link parameter: af_ad
- Site ID and Sub Site ID - set Site ID parameter to attribute installs to specific publishers. If many publishers exist, we advise on limiting the number of used site IDs and using the sub site ID parameter, to avoid exceeding the site ID limitations.
Tracking link parameters: af_siteid and af_sub_siteid
- Subscriber Parameters - use any of the 5 subscriber parameters to insert useful values. Note that these parameters get parsed and appear in the raw data report, which makes them very handy for performing data aggregation or filtering.
Tracking link parameters: af_sub1, af_sub2, af_sub3, af_sub4, af_sub5
Add any other parameter to the tracking link simply by typing it in a new parameter box. For more information about AppsFlyer's Tracking Link Structure and Parameters.
When enabled, AppsFlyer recognizes a link as a retargeting tracking link, rather than a user acquisition link, by adding the
&is_retargeting=true to the click tracking link. Note that retargeting is currently only supported for click-through and not view-through attribution.
Tracking link parameter: is_retargeting.
The following setup below is displayed when retargeting is enabled.
1. Standard Link vs. OneLink
Select standard tracking link option if:
- You don't need to deep link with the URL or
- Plan to use only URI schemes for deep linking
select Use OneLink for:
- Using a single link for both Android and iOS apps or
- Deep linking using Universal or app links
Note that selecting OneLink changes the click tracking link from app specific to a OneLink URL.
2. Deep Link URL
Use this field if the link is meant to deep link users to any specific activity within your app.
Tracking link parameter: af_dp
You can find more information about AppsFlyer's deep linking solution in this guide.
3. Re-engagement Window
Set the time period following the re-engagement, where the user's in-app events are attributed to the retargeting media source. You can set the value in days (1-90), hours (up to 23), or even lifetime.
Tracking link parameter: af_reengagement_window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to StartApp.
Tracking link parameter: af_click_lookback
More details about the click lookback window here.
Click Tracking Link
This is the tracking link that contains all the setup information you have set for it. Send it to StartApp to be activated when leads click on a corresponding ad.
View-Through Attribution Lookback Window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to StartApp, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
Tracking link parameter: af_viewthrough_lookback
More details about the view-through attribution here.
Impressions Tracking Link
The impression tracking link contains similar attribution data to the click tracking link (besides the different lookback window). Send it to StartApp to be activated when a corresponding ad is watched, usually for 1 second or more.
StartApp automatically sends encrypted CPI cost data on the tracking link for all installs.
Ad Revenue Tab
Ad Revenue integration is not available for this partner.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant StartApp, whether the partner acts as an ad network, agency or even both. Note that even if attribution is disabled for StartApp, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to StartApp.
Use these toggles to give the ad network permissions to handle its own configuration for your app:
Ad Network Permissions
- Allow to configure integration - permit the partner to setup the integration tab (except in-app event postbacks)
- Allow to configure in-app event postbacks - permit the partner to setup in-app event postbacks mapping to itself on the integration tab
- Allow access to your retention report - only to the partner's own retention data
- Allow access to your Protect360 dashboard - only to the partner's own Protect360 data, and providing the feature is enabled for the advertiser
Learn more about granting ad network permissions.