At a glance: At a glance: User-level data are attributed to the restricted media source when the ad network, in some conversion scenarios, restricts user-level data sharing. Aggregate and analytic reports are not impacted by the restricted media source.
What is the restricted media source?
- The restricted media source appears if your app receives traffic from ad networks that restrict the sharing of user-level data in some conversion scenarios.
- Restricted conversions are attributed to the restricted media source, and not to the originating ad network.
- More implications detailed below.
Facebook restricts the sharing of user-level data. This occurs when a user is converted by View-through attribution (VTA). A VTA conversion is an ad impression without a click, followed by a conversion.
Implications of restricted conversions
What happens with the data of restricted conversions, meaning installs and reinstalls?
- Media source appears as restricted in raw data reports.
- Raw attribution fields are empty or null. See the list of raw-data parameters.
- Restricted user data doesn’t have attribution data, but contains the device ID enabling advertisers to segment the devices for retargeting campaigns. For example, when implementing Audiences,
In the Raw data installs report, a restricted conversion provided by Facebook Ads is attributed to the restricted media source.
- Aggregate data in reports, dashboards, and analytic tools like Cohort are not impacted by the restricted media source. The data is attributed precisely.
- In-app events performed by restricted users are attributed correctly in AppsFlyer aggregate data.
In the AppsFlyer Overview dashboard, a restricted install provided by Facebook is attributed to Facebook Ads. This includes the ad, ad group, and campaign names the user engaged with on Facebook.
Postbacks of restricted conversions and in-app events are only sent to the ad network producing them, and not to other partners of any type.
Restricted conversions have aggregate assists data, but no raw assists data
- A user sees an ad on IronSource, then on Facebook Ads, and then installs.
- The install is attributed as restricted.
- IronSource doesn’t appear in the contributor raw data, but it does appear on the Overview dashboard > Additional insights > Assisted installs graph.
Restricted engagements don't appear as assists
- A user sees an ad on Facebook Ads, then clicks on an ad in AppLovin and installs.
- The install is attributed to AppLovin.
- Neither Facebook Ads nor restricted media sources appear in the raw or aggregate contributor data related to the install.
Restricted raw data parameters
|API parameter name||Field name|
|attributed_touch_type||Attributed Touch Type|
|attributed_touch_time||Attributed Touch Time|
|attributed_touch_time_selected_timezone||Attributed Touch Time Selected Timezone|
|keyword_match_type||Keywords Match Type|
|af_sub_siteid||Sub Site ID|
|af_sub1||Sub Param 1|
|af_sub2||Sub Param 2|
|af_sub3||Sub Param 3|
|af_sub4||Sub Param 4|
|af_sub5||Sub Param 5|
|cost_in_selected_currency||Cost In Selected Currency|
|contributor_1_af_prt||Contributor 1 Partner|
|contributor_1_media_source||Contributor 1 Media Source|
|contributor_1_campaign||Contributor 1 Campaign|
|contributor_1_touch_type||Contributor 1 Touch Type|
|contributor_1_touch_time||Contributor 1 Touch Time|
|contributor_2_af_prt||Contributor 2 Partner|
|contributor_2_media_source||Contributor 2 Media Source|
|contributor_2_campaign||Contributor 2 Campaign|
|contributor_2_touch_type||Contributor 2 Touch Type|
|contributor_2_touch_time||Contributor 2 Touch Time|
|contributor_3_af_prt||Contributor 3 Partner|
|contributor_3_media_source||Contributor 3 Media Source|
|contributor_3_campaign||Contributor 3 Campaign|
|contributor_3_touch_type||Contributor 3 Touch Type|
|contributor_3_touch_time||Contributor 3 Touch Time|
|retargeting_conversion_type||Retargeting Conversion Type|
|install_app_store||Install App Store|
|contributor_1_match_type||Contributor 1 Match Type|
|contributor_2_match_type||Contributor 2 Match Type|
|contributor_3_match_type||Contributor 3 Match Type|
|network_account_id||Network Account ID|