At a glance: Measure the effects of global events (for example COVID-19) on your UA campaigns and user performance.
Measure the effect of global events
COVID-19 surprised pretty much everyone but Bill Gates. In the ad attribution world, this global event impacted advertiser app owners per their verticals and other factors.
Some app owners experienced a rise in traffic, while others felt a significant drop. Further, there was a dramatic change in the performance of user segments in UA campaigns or within an app. One reason may be the degree of event severity experienced in different countries.
So, advertisers can take different steps:
- Temporarily halt UA campaigns
- Divert funds to campaigns that are more successful
- Exclude/include certain countries from campaign user targeting
Adapting to global events
Advertisers can make educated decisions by comparing user performance during and before a global event. There are several ways to easily achieve these comparisons using AppsFlyer dashboards.
Custom dashboards let you use widgets to build account-level customized dashboards. Widgets show data for a set date range. Now, to compare, you can set up widgets to show data for the pre-COVID-19 period of November 2019.
To set a comparative widget:
- Go to the relevant custom dashboard.
- Hover over a widget and the action menu appears. Click Duplicate.
- In the new widget, mark the checkbox Show a pre-COVID-19 date range.
- In the custom dashboard, the new widget displays a Pre-COVID-19 label.
Overview (LTV) dashboard trends
The Overview dashboard lets you quickly compare current UA performance with that of the preceding, equivalent period. Current trends are shown by:
- Number of impressions
- Number of clicks
- Number of attributed installs
- Number of organic installs
- Clicks-to-installs ratio
On this dashboard, the advertiser set the date range to 45 days: March 15 to April 30.
The Impressions/Clicks widget indicates that the number of impressions increased by 135% compared to the previous 45 days (February 1 to March 14).
Activity (data) dashboard
The Activity dashboard shows activity data for ALL your current users during a set date range. It lets you quickly compare current-user in-app performance.
To compare activity stats from different date ranges:
- Go to the Activity dashboard.
- Set a date range.
- Copy the browser address into another window and set a date range.
- Compare KPIs such as:
- Average DAU
- Average MAU
- Attributed revenue
- Organic revenue
- In-app event instances count
Excluding users from UA campaigns
The best way to optimize your marketing budget is to exclude current users from your various UA campaigns on a daily basis. It's always important to do this, but even more so during significant global events.
Read about this issue, its consequences, and recommended solutions in this article.