At a glance: CleverTap is a modern, integrated retention cloud that empowers digital consumer brands to increase customer retention and lifetime value. Embed AppsFlyer OneLink branded links within emails powered by CleverTap email delivery platform.
Email service providers (ESPs) are excellent sources of segmented user traffic. They wrap deep linking URLs with their own click recording domain. In some cases doing so breaks iOS Universal Links. To overcome this, CleverTap uses Universal Links on top of their click recording domain. They integrate with AppsFlyer and by using OneLink branded link capabilities enable deep linking and click recording.
To integrate with CleverTap a general analytics platform, refer to CleverTap integration with AppsFlyer.
Set up ESP integration with CleverTap
Configure CleverTap and the AppsFlyer SDK, to send emails containing OneLink branded links.
For additional information on setting up CleverTap, reach out to CleverTap support or refer to their documentation.
- OneLink branded link
- Mobile SDK versions:
- iOS V4.9.0 or later
- Android V4.9.0 or later
Step 1: Set up a CleverTap account
To set up your account at CleverTap, go to the CleverTap Getting Started page.
Step 2: Disable click tracking
Once your CleverTap account is set up, disable click tracking from your ESP - Sendgrid, for example. Clicks recorded by AppsFlyer will be sent back to CleverTap.
Step 3: Configure links for your email campaigns
- Create a OneLink template for your email campaigns.
- Create a Branded link.
When requested to add a CNAME to your domain, use yourdomain.esplinks.appsflyer.com, instead of the URL offered in the Branded Link creation page.
Subdomain CNAME click.example.com example.appsflyer.com
Note that when clicking Verify to verify the brand domain, a failure message regarding the AppsFlyer CNAME displays.
Ignore this message and change the CNAME as instructed above.
Step 4: Send emails
- Create a OneLink URL in the Link Management page (or manually). You must URL-encode parameter values.
- [Best practice] Use the following parameters:
- pid (media source): Use a media source that signifies this usage such as Email.
- c (campaign): Campaign name
- af_dp : The deep link URI scheme you want to deep-link your users into.
- af_web_dp: Where to redirect users clicking the link on desktop.
- af_ios_url : Where to redirect users that don’t have the app clicking the link in an iOS device.
- af_android_url: Where to redirect users that don’t have the app click the link in an Android device.
- In CleverTap, go to Settings > Channels > Email > Advanced Setup tab and make sure your branded domain is displayed.
- Insert the OneLink URL in the email created using the CleverTap editor.
For the sake of readability, URL parameters are not URL-encoded in this example.
https://yoursubdomain.com/abcd?pid=Email&c=Spring_Newsletter&is_retargeting=true& af_dp=testapp://path/to/content&af_web_dp=https://www.example.com/path/to/content& af_ios_url=https://www.example.com/path/to/content&af_android_url=https://www.example.com/path/to/content
Test your links
To test the integration:
- Set-up CleverTap.
- Create a OneLink URL.
- Insert the URL in an email.
- Create a campaign targeting your profile.
- If you have the app installed, it should launch and you will be deep-linked into the defined app page.
- A click reflects in:
- The AppsFlyer dashboard, attributed to the media source and campaign.
- CleverTap data.