At a glance: During a retargeting campaign re-engagement window, in-app events and sessions are double-attributed to the user acquisition (UA) and retargeting media sources. This enables the complete evaluation of media source performance in the context of the various attribution dashboards and raw data reports available.
Double attribution of retargeting events
In the AppsFlyer attribution model, events occurring as a result of user engagement with a retargeting campaign are attributed to both the media source motivating the install and the and the media source motivating the re-engagement.
In the preceding figure, the UA event is attributed to the green_network. One event is generated. In contrast, after the user engages with a retargeting ad served by blue_network two events are generated. The events credit:
- blue_network as the primary source motivating the re-engagement.
- green_network as the secondary source that motivated the original install.
To clarify further, the table that follows contains a scenario of how in-app events are attributed before, during, and after a re-engagement window. The notation in the table refers to the raw data fields use to identify double attributed events:
- is_primary (is_primary_attribution): If true, the media source is the primary media source
- is_retargeting: If true, the event relates to a retargeting campaign
|Media source||Before re-engagement||During re-engagement||After re-engagement|
Support for dashboard view types
Some dashboards contain multiple view options being unified, user acquisition, and retargeting. These view types employ similar logic to that employed in raw data.
|User acquisition||False||True or false||Both UA and retargeting events attributed to the UA media source|
|Retargeting||True||True||Attributed to the retargeting media source|
|Unified||True or False||True||Attributed to the primary (last touch) media source|
How do I identify double-attributed retargeting events in user acquisition in-app reports?
In UA in-app event reports events recorded as a result of double attribution are identified as follows:
- The is_primary_attribution field identifies primary and secondary media sources; when false, it means that the attribution is the result of a retargeting campaign and the UA media source is secondary.
- The is_retargeting field is always false.
The corresponding record in retargeting in-app event reports during the re-engagement window are populated as follows:
- The is_primary_attribution field is always true.
- The is_retargeting field is always true.
- To clarify, there is no record whatsoever if the event does not happen during a re-engagement window.