At a glance: To evaluate performance during the retargeting campaign's re-engagement window, in-app events and sessions are double-attributed to the user acquisition (UA) and retargeting media sources.
Double attribution of retargeting events
In the AppsFlyer attribution model, events occurring as a result of user engagement with a retargeting campaign are attributed to both the media source motivating the install and the media source motivating the re-engagement.
In the preceding figure, the UA event is attributed to the green_network. One event is generated. In contrast, after the user engages with a retargeting ad served by blue_network two events are generated. The events credit:
- blue_network as the primary source motivating the re-engagement.
- green_network as the secondary source that motivated the original install.
To clarify further, the table that follows contains a scenario of how in-app events are attributed before, during, and after a re-engagement window. The notation in the table refers to the raw data fields use to identify double attributed events:
- is_primary (is_primary_attribution): If true, the media source is the primary media source
- is_retargeting: If true, the event relates to a retargeting campaign
|Media source||Before re-engagement||During re-engagement||After re-engagement|
Support for dashboard view types
Some dashboards contain multiple view options being unified, user acquisition, and retargeting. These view types employ similar logic to that employed in raw data.
|User acquisition||False||True or false||Both UA and retargeting events attributed to the UA media source|
|Retargeting||True||True||Attributed to the retargeting media source|
|Unified||True or False||True||Attributed to the primary (last touch) media source|
How do I identify double-attributed retargeting events in user acquisition in-app reports?
In UA in-app event reports events recorded as a result of double attribution are identified as follows:
- The is_primary_attribution field identifies primary and secondary media sources; when false, it means that the attribution is the result of a retargeting campaign and the UA media source is secondary.
- The is_retargeting field is always false.
The corresponding record in retargeting in-app event reports during the re-engagement window is populated as follows:
- The is_primary_attribution field is always true.
- The is_retargeting field is always true.
- To clarify, there is no record whatsoever if the event does not happen during a re-engagement window.