This article is intended for Advertisers who would like to post to Mixpanel for every new attribution recorded on the AppsFlyer platform.
Mixpanel is a product analytics platform that enables everyone to learn from and act on their data. With the power to track every user action and easily query and visualize answers, Mixpanel gives product leaders the insight they need to build products people love.
The integration between AppsFlyer and Mixpanel enables you to import the Acquisition Campaign information from AppsFlyer to Mixpanel.
Setting Up Mixpanel
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "Mixpanel" in the search field and click on its logo to open the Mixpanel configuration window.
The Mixpanel configuration window includes 4 tabs: Integration, Tracking link, Data enrichment and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
The Integration Tab is divided into different sections as described below.
Mixpanel connects with AppsFlyer via a unique Token. If you don't already have it, you must obtain it from Mixpanel to continue with the integration or follow the steps below.
Configuring AppsFlyer and Mixpanel
- Get the Token parameter from Mixpanel:
- Login to your Mixpanel account at: https://mixpanel.com/login/
- Select Account in the upper menu
- Select Projects– on this page you can find the token parameter
- Send Advertiser ID:
- If you are using AppsFlyer customer_user_id parameter then it is sent to Mixpanel with every install (Leave Send Advertiser ID unchecked
- If you are not using AppsFlyer customer_user_id - check Send Advertiser ID and the device ID is sent to Mixpanel as the customer_user_id (unique_id in Mixpanel) refer to the AppsFlyer SDK integration guide for Android and iOS.
- Select Events if you want to send the data to Mixpanel Events end point
- Select People if want to send the data to Mixpanel People end point
- Select Advanced Data Sharing to send additional information to Mixpanel: cost, cost_value, c (campaign), network (pid), impression_based (is-impression).
- Click Save.
AppsFlyer can send automatic postbacks to Mixpanel user installs. Use this section to define sending these postbacks.
Select Events attributed to any partner or organic to send postbacks for any user that downloads the app to Mixpanel.
According to both Facebook and Twitter Terms and Conditions, we cannot share user level data with any 3rd party. Therefore, all Facebook and Twitter installs are sent to Mixpanel as organic.
For details on sharing data with 3rd parties, click here.
Once you have saved the configuration, AppsFlyer sends the following data to Mixpanel for every organic and non-organic install:
- Mixpanel token parameter
- Customer_user_id or Device ID (IDFA / Google Advertising ID)
- Media Source
- Campaign name
Tracking Link Tab
Data Enrichment Tab
Data Enrichment is not available for Mixpanel.
Permissions are not available for Mixpanel.
Integrating with Mixpanel when using a Login Mechanism
Some apps are using a login mechanism and will generate a user id only after a login event. In these cases you should use Mixpanel Alias function as seen in the following example:
- App has been launched (opened) by the user
- Collect the device IDFA / Advertising ID of the device and set it as the Customer User ID, using the SDK function setCustomerUserId.
- Send Track App Launch. This API enables AppsFlyer to detect installations, sessions and updates.
- After installation is tracked, an install event is sent to Mixpanel with the customer_user_id
- User Registration occurs, as set by your own requirements.
- User Registration completes, as set by your own requirements.
- If you are using your internal User ID as Mixpanel ID, Please set the customer_user_id (or the device id – see section 2) and User ID (e.g email address) as mixpanel.alias. For more information click here
- Mixpanel receives the customer_user_id from AppsFlyer with the alias of the User ID (e.g email address)
If you are not using any registration process inside your application, implement sections 1-3.
Viewing AppsFlyer Data in Mixpanel
The screenshots below are a Funnel report selecting a specific Attribution Analytics partner and segmenting by Attribution Analytics offer.