Get SKAN postback data from Google Ads
If you work with multiple ad network partners, the best practice is to set it up in AppsFlyer. By doing so, SKAN performance metrics for all your ad network partners, enriched with other metrics like cost, are available via the AppsFlyer platform.
Related reading: AppsFlyer SKAN Solution guide
Scope of SKAN reporting with Google Ads
- Google Ads shares aggregated iOS SKAN postbacks they receive with AppsFlyer in the context of iOS app campaigns. These postbacks represent installs from multiple channels such as display and YouTube, but generally exclude most of search as SKAN does not support web->app tracking at this point.
- AppsFlyer decodes the postback and then updates the SKAN dashboard and reports (including the postback raw data report).
- iOS 14.5 implications on SRN reporting
On receipt of the iOS postback, Google determines the last click time using ad serving signals. However, AppsFlyer regards the click time as the install time. This can lead to differences between the AppsFlyer and Google dashboards.
Due to the click reporting methodology used by Google, and the fact that Google updates data retroactively on a daily basis, AppsFlyer pulls the data for the previous 8 days and displays the install under the last click before the install date. For example, a click on July 1 can be reported to AppsFlyer on July 8. AppsFlyer displays this install under the July 1 date. This impacts reports as follows:
- Aggregated reports and the dashboard update retroactively.
- Raw data reports don't change retroactively. Data (provided via Data Locker) is provided in folders according to the date Google provided the data to AppsFlyer (data arrival date).
Set up interoperation
To set up interoperation with Google Ads, you must complete the following section.
Set up postback sending
|SKAN settings review||
Verify that AppsFlyer SKAN solution is set up and is on. Doing so allows the AppsFlyer SDK to call SKAN APIs and set the conversion value.
To review SKAN settings:
|In-app event mapping in AppsFlyer||
To view and set in-app event mapping:
Allow Google Ads to share SKAN data with AppsFlyer
Allow Google Ads to share SKAN data with AppsFlyer. If you don't do so, you won't see SKAN installs attributed to Google Ads in the AppsFlyer SKAN dashboard.
To grant Google Ads permission to share SKAN data with AppsFlyer:
- The procedure that follows must be performed by the advertiser, agency, or both.
- In AppsFlyer, go to Configuration > Integrated partners.
- Select Google Ads.
- Go to the SKAN tab.
- If the temporarily unavailable message displays, most times it means an ad blocker is active. If so, disable the ad blocker and reload the page. If this is not the case, contact AppsFlyer support.
- Click Google Ads login.
- You must log in to Google Ads using an Administrator user role on the account.
- If the Google account is associated with multiple apps, log in once, and all apps are authorized. In other words, there is no need to authorize on a per-app basis.
- Follow the instructions in the user interface.
- In some cases, you might be prompted to give AppsFlyer permission to Manage your AdWords campaigns. If so, you must enable the permission. Don't worry, we won't make changes to your campaign settings.
- Verify that the account status, waiting for sync displays.
This message persists until we get data from Google Ads (maximum 24 hours.)
- Wait until after 02:00 UTC of the next day, then verify that the status changes to active.
Data in the SKAN dashboard updates daily by 08:00 UTC. Note! As described in the considerations section, Google can update data 8 days retroactively.
- Read about measurement differences.
Measurement and timing differences between AppsFlyer and Google Ads
|Earliest data availability||
Data is available starting on the date that you enable the integration according to the UTC time. Because Google uses the click time, installs from before the starting date can display retroactively.
Google sets the install time to the estimated last click time before the install. It is Google that determines the click time using ad serving signals.
The following should be considered when comparing media sources and the dashboard in AppsFlyer:
Google Ads data is available in the SKAN dashboard, aggregate, and raw data reports. See SKAN reporting options.
Troubleshooting, discrepancies, and FAQ
Sending events to Google Ads
Q: Does it make sense to send additional event postbacks to Google Ads for events not selected in the conversion value measurement option?
A: For consenting users, send the full range of events to maximize Google Ads' ability to optimize.
Map multiple events to the same Google Ads event
Q: Can I map multiple in-app events to one Google Ads event?
A: If multiple events are mapped to one Google Ads standard event, Google Ads can't differentiate between the events. So, Google Ads will optimize toward the one event they recognize.
Q: Can agencies enable the integration with Google.
A: Yes. Use the procedure in this article.
Campaign types supported
Q: What types of Google Ads campaigns are supported
A: App-to-app iOS campaigns including search, video, and so on.