As of late May 2018 AppsFlyer's integrated partners user interface and accompanying documentation are being gradually updated. For details about the new user interface please visit the Integrated Partners Setup guide.
There are two different Google AdWords/AppsFlyer configurations.
- Advertisers who opened an AppsFlyer account prior to 17 May 2017 should refer to the iOS documentation here and the Android documentation here.
- Advertisers who opened an AppsFlyer account after 17 May 2017 and have never configured Google AdWords on AppsFlyer should follow the guidelines below:
As a prerequisite for the integration with Google AdWords, the app must collect IDFA / GAID.
For further information please refer to the SDK Integrations Guides for either iOS or Android.
The new Google AdWords UI allows you to configure only a new UAC campaign. To configure all other specific campaign types, switch back to the old UI on Google AdWords dashboard. For details, click here.
Setting-Up Google AdWords Tracking for Advertisers
To start tracking Google AdWords campaigns with AppsFlyer, follow these steps:
Step 1: Create the AdWords Link ID
(AdWords admin only)
- Go to your AdWords dashboard and click on the Tools icon on the upper right corner.
- Select “Linked accounts" under Setup.
- In the Third-party app analytics box click on DETAILS.
- Click the “+” button.
- From the App analytics providers list select AppsFlyer.
- Select your mobile app's platform, ios or android, and select the relevant app under look up your app.
- Click on CREATE LINK ID.
- Copy the new Link ID, which now uniquely identifies your mobile app on AdWords.
- Remember - you MUST repeat these steps to create the unique LINK ID for each of your mobile apps.
Step 2: Set up AdWords on AppsFlyer
(any member in AppsFlyer's account)
- Head to your app's dashboard on AppsFlyer and click on Integrated Partners.
- Select Google AdWords
- Paste the copied Link ID.
- To track running retargeting campaigns on Google Adwords Toggle Google Adwords Retargeting to ON. If you do not have any active Adwords retargeting campaigns, it is recommended to toggle this button OFF.
- We recommend setting the Click Attribution Lookback Window to 30 days, to match with AdWords value.
- Go to the Data Enrichment tab
- Click on the AdWords cost Connect button and log into your Google account to get all your AdWords campaign costs on AppsFlyer.
- Press Save &Close.
Step 3: Map your In App Events
- Go to the Integration tab and scroll down to the In-App Events section
- Set the partner ID again here, if required
- Toggle In-App Event Postbacks to ON
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner (recommended for future AdWords remarketing purposes)
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Fill in the following parameters:
Parameter Name Description SDK Event Name The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated in your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - don't see the event you want in the list? Make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
Partner Event Identifier The unique name or ID of each event as defined on the partner's side. There are several options here:
Text field - get the corresponding event ID from the partner.
Drop down box - select the most suitable pre-defined event for your event. Some integrations have the CUSTOM value, which enables sending your SDK event as is to the partner.
Send Revenue When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if exists in the event).
We recommend mapping "AF app opened" with "session start" for future retargeting purposes.
- Press Save &Close.
Now for AdWords to register your new conversions, you MUST launch your app and perform your mapped in-app events at least once. Afterwards, it may take up to 6 hours until the new conversions change status from “No recent conversion” to “recording conversion".
Step 4: Track your app conversions
(AdWords admin only)
- Head back to your AdWords account and click on the Tools icon.
- Under the section labeled Measurement - click on Conversions.
- Click the Plus button.
- Select App from the list of conversion types.
- Select Third-party app analytics, and click on Continue.
- Check the box next to first_open of ALL your apps, and for each event you’d like to import.
- Click Import and Continue, and then click Done.
- You can now see your third-party conversion event in the Conversion actions table. Click on the name of the event to see more details.
- Congratulations! You are now tracking Google AdWords mobile campaigns with AppsFlyer!
The Google AdWords API integration automatically includes the AdWords remarketing feature. By completing this integration and sending events to AdWords the client is able to create remarketing audience lists in AdWords without any additional integrations.
Enabling Agencies Tracking of AdWords
While agencies can use their own accounts to provide AdWords traffic to advertisers, if the advertiser has its own AdWords account, the agency MUST use the advertiser's Google Link ID. For details, click here.
AdWords Parameter Mapping
The table below is the parameter mapping between Google AdWords and AppsFlyer.
Example: If an advertiser is running a UAC campaign on Google AdWords, the RAW data report on AppsFlyer reflects the Channel, Campaign Name, Campaign ID and in some cases, also the Site ID.
Advertisers cannot add personalized parameters to any Google AdWords campaigns.
For further details on how to share your Google AdWords Link ID, click here.
Campaign Type: UAC
Campaign ID (af_c_id)
|Adset ID (af_adset_id)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Ad ID (af_ad_id)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Ad Type (af_ad_type)||Yes*||Yes*||Yes*|
|Site ID (af_siteid)||GoogleSearch/
*For more information on what ad types are available in Google's response see here.
Campaign Type: Search
|Google Search||Search Partners||mGDN|
Campaign ID (af_c_id)
|Adset (af_adset)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)|
|Adset ID (af_adset_id)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ad (af_ad)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)|
|Ad ID (af_ad_id)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ad Type (af_ad_type)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Site ID (af_siteid)||GoogleSearch||SearchPartners||Yes (Publisher App ID)|
Campaign Type: Video
Campaign ID (af_c_id)
|Adset (af_adset)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)||No (is auto-populated with Adset ID)|
|Adset ID (af_adset_id)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ad (af_ad)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)||No (is auto-populated with Ad ID)|
|Ad ID (af_ad_id)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ad Type (af_ad_type)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Site ID (af_siteid)||Yes
(Publisher App ID)
UAC Online Certification
To better understand UAC, Google has created an online course that offers UAC certification at course completion. For details of how to register for this course, click here.
Tracking Ad Revenue with Admob
If you're acting as a publisher with Admob you surely wish to track your ads revenue to find the media sources that earn you the most money on ad clicks. Through the Google AdWords setup window you can do that as follows:
1. Click the Data Enrichment tab on the Google AdWords setup window
2. Toggle the Get Ad Revenue Data button to ON
3. Press the API Authentication button to authenticate the Google Admob account
4. Event Source - choose the event representing your ad revenue model in the best possible way. The Ad Revenue Event value is automatically created upon your selection.
Currently clicks and impressions data from Google AdWords is not sent to AppsFlyer and is so unavailable. Therefore, when analyzing several media sources, including Google AdWords in the list distorts your conversion rates.
Are you seeing this screen on AdWords after mapping your preferred in-app events on AppsFlyer's dashboard (configuration step 3)?
If so, then you need to perform these events on a mobile device AFTER the mapping takes place. It may take up to 6 hours afterwards for the events to show up on AdWords' dashboard.
session_startto measure engagements. For a user acquisition campaign, then it is not mandatory.