At a glance: Pinterest, an AppsFlyer integrated partner, is one of the top contributors of traffic for bloggers and brands. Pinterest offers both click-based and view-through mobile attribution. In addition, Pinterest also offers click-based retargeting which you can record with AppsFlyer.
- Effective June 2021, Pinterest is no longer running CPI campaigns. As a result, AppsFlyer doesn't send install postbacks to Pinterest.
- After accepting Pinterest Ad Terms, accept Pinterest Mobile Measurement Terms & Conditions here.
- Pinterest requires attribution providers to delete its user-level data 6 months after the install. This means that the events performed by these users 6 months after they install the app are counted as organic.
Past aggregate data remains the same.
Setting up Pinterest
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "Pinterest" in the search field and click on its logo to open Pinterest's configuration window.
Pinterest's configuration window includes 4 active tabs: Integration, Attribution link, Cost, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
On the first visit, you will need to turn on the Activate Partner button to enable setup of the integration tab's parameters. The toggle must be on for as long as you work with the partner.
For more details about partner activation click here.
The following are the general settings for the integration tab of Pinterest.
Enable View-Through attribution
Turn this on if you want to attribute view-through installs from Pinterest. The view-through lookback slider is available on the attribution link tab (described below).
In-app events settings
In this section, you can map your AppsFlyer events with Pinterest via postbacks.
To be able to send in-app event postbacks to Pinterest, you must enter a Tag ID. If you don't have a Tag ID, get it from Pinterest.
In your Pinterest Business Account,
- Go to Ads > Conversions.
- In the Conversions page, copy the Tag ID.
Click Create Tag if you don't have a tag yet, and complete the creation process. Copy the new tag.
Note: Tag ID is required for event postbacks only.
- Set the Pinterest Tag ID here.
- Turn In-App Event Postbacks on.
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK-defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Fill in the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated with your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on Pinterest's side.
Obtain the corresponding Event ID from Pinterest and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Attribution link tab
This tab is divided into different sections:
Attribution link parameters
In this section, select which parameters you want to add to the attribution link.
Adding parameters to the attribution link here enables you to later perform thorough drill-down analyses. Parameters that are already defined on the attribution link can be edited by adding them and their new values here.
- Campaign - add it to compare different campaigns running with Pinterest.
Attribution link parameter: c
- Adset - set ad set names to compare different ad sets within specific Pinterest campaigns.
Attribution link parameter: af_adset
- Ad Name - set ad set names to compare different creatives within specific ad sets within specific campaigns Pinterest.
Attribution link parameter: af_ad
- Site ID and Sub Site ID - set Site ID parameter to attribute installs to specific publishers. If many publishers exist, we advise on limiting the number of used site IDs and using the sub site ID parameter, to avoid exceeding the site ID limitations.
Attribution link parameters: af_siteid and af_sub_siteid
- Subscriber Parameters - use any of the 5 subscriber parameters to insert useful values. Note that these parameters get parsed and appear in the raw data report, which makes them very handy for performing data aggregation or filtering.
Attribution link parameters: af_sub1, af_sub2, af_sub3, af_sub4, af_sub5
Add any other parameter to the attribution link simply by typing it in a new parameter box. For more information about AppsFlyer Attribution Link Structure and Parameters.
When enabled, AppsFlyer recognizes a link as a retargeting attribution link, instead of a user acquisition link, by adding the
&is_retargeting=true to the click recording link. Note that retargeting is currently only supported for click-through and not view-through attribution.
Attribution link parameter: is_retargeting.
The following setup below is displayed when retargeting is enabled.
Pinterest advises using OS-specific attribution links for retargeting campaigns. Select the Use a standard attribution link option and add the necessary parameters to the retargeting attribution link.
Deep Link URL
Deep linking from within a pin will work correctly only when your app is allowlisted by Pinterest.
Contact your Pinterest representative or email email@example.com to be allowlisted for deep linking.
Use this field if the link is meant to deep link users to any specific activity within your app.
Attribution link parameter: af_dp
You can find more information about AppsFlyer Deep Linking solution in this guide.
Set the time period following the re-engagement, where the user's in-app events are attributed to the retargeting media source. You can set the value in days (1-90), hours (up to 23), or even lifetime.
Attribution link parameter: af_reengagement_window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to Pinterest.
Attribution link parameter: af_click_lookback
More details about the click lookback window here.
Click attribution link
This is the attribution link that contains all the setup information you have set for it. Send it to Pinterest to be activated when leads click on a corresponding ad.
View-through attribution lookback window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to Pinterest, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
Attribution link parameter: af_viewthrough_lookback
More details about the view-through attribution here.
Impressions attribution link
The impression attribution link contains similar attribution data to the click recording link (besides the different lookback window). Send it to Pinterest to be activated when a corresponding ad is watched, usually for 1 second or more.
Enabling and testing Pinterest integration
Follow these steps to configure cost with Pinterest:
Make sure you are passing campaign IDs on the attribution link to increase reporting accuracy.
- Click Connect to configure cost with Pinterest.
- The Pinterest Login window opens.
- If you are not logged in already, login and click Authorize App.
- When successfully connected the following message appears:
- Close the message and return to the AppsFlyer dashboard.
- Click Save.
Cost data sync status
The cost tab shows the status of your cost integration and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data.
Pinterest allows you to sync several accounts for pulling cost data. For each synced account, AppsFlyer shows the status of cost integration and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data.
The table below describes five different status messages, and what to do if you see them in the cost tab.
|Status Message||Description||What to Do|
|Partner API is responding and returning data.||
With sync message:
Cost Data was never successfully pulled
One of the following is possible:
No Matching Data
AppsFlyer queries this app's active campaigns with the Partner API, but the partner API isn't returning any data for these campaigns.
Partner API is not responding
The ad network cost data API is either down or experiencing issues.
Wait for the network API to become responsive.
|Cost API credentials are incorrect. AppsFlyer in unable to pull cost data.||
Make sure that the cost API key is correct.
Last successful data pull
The cost tab shows the last time cost data has been pulled yet. If cost data has never been pulled, the sync message shows Cost Data was never successfully pulled.
Scenario 1: Stopped campaigns
AppsFlyer pulls cost for several campaigns that you run with ad network A. You look in the cost tab and you see the message Last successful sync 2 hours ago. The same day you stop running campaigns with ad network A. Two weeks later, you look in the cost tab of ad network A. You then see the message Last successful sync 14 days ago.
Scenario 2: Ad network API issues
AppsFlyer pulls cost for several campaigns that you run with ad network B. You look in the cost tab and you see the message Last successful sync 2 hours ago. Ad network B then experiences issues with their API. It takes them a few hours to fix it. When you look in the cost tab you see the message Last successful sync 8 hours ago.
Stop Pinterest cost sync
To delete a connected account:
- In the actions column, hover over an account, click Delete connection. Once deleted, AppsFlyer stops getting the cost. Deleting the connection does not impact historical data.
NoteOnce you set Pinterest's cost, do not change the name of any running campaign, ad set, or single ad, nor use dynamic macros with the campaign name parameter, as they may cause serious discrepancies or missing cost data.
Ad revenue tab
Ad Revenue data is not supported by this partner.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Pinterest. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Pinterest, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to Pinterest.
Learn more about the permissions you can grant Pinterest.
- Cost tab error message: No matching data means that the Pinterest account that you connected to AppsFlyer is not the correct Pinterest account. No data was found that matches the app. You should log in to Pinterest with different credentials.