At a glance: Pinterest, an AppsFlyer integrated partner, is one of the top contributors of traffic for bloggers and brands. Pinterest offers both click-based and view-through mobile attribution. In addition, Pinterest also offers click-based retargeting which you can record with AppsFlyer.
- Effective June 2021, Pinterest is no longer running CPI campaigns. As a result, AppsFlyer doesn't send install postbacks to Pinterest.
- After accepting Pinterest Ad Terms, accept Pinterest Mobile Measurement Terms & Conditions here.
- Pinterest requires attribution providers to delete its user-level data 6 months after the install. This means that the events performed by these users 6 months after they install the app are counted as organic.
Past aggregate data remains the same.
Set up Pinterest
Prerequisite: Before setting up the integration, make sure you contact the partner and open an account with them.
The setup is done from the Active Integrations page, but to find the new partner you must first go to the Marketplace, as explained below.
To activate the integration:
- In AppsFlyer, under Configuration go to Partner Marketplace.
- Search for Pinterest and select it.
- Click Set up integration. You’re directed to the integration setup page.
- In the Integration tab, turn on Activate partner.
Note: The toggle must stay on (activated) for as long as you work with the partner.
- Click Save Integration.
- Complete the configuration using the relevant tabs, as described below.
Pinterest's configuration window includes 4 active tabs: Integration, Attribution link, Cost, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
On the first visit, you will need to turn on the Activate Partner button to enable setup of the integration tab's parameters. The toggle must be on for as long as you work with the partner.
For more details about partner activation click here.
The following are the general settings for the integration tab of Pinterest.
Enable View-Through attribution
Turn this on if you want to attribute view-through installs from Pinterest. The view-through lookback slider is available on the attribution link tab (described below).
In-app events settings
In this section, you can map your AppsFlyer events with Pinterest via postbacks.
To be able to send in-app event postbacks to Pinterest, you must enter a Tag ID. If you don't have a Tag ID, get it from Pinterest.
In your Pinterest Business Account,
- Go to Ads > Conversions.
- In the Conversions page, copy the Tag ID.
Click Create Tag if you don't have a tag yet, and complete the creation process. Copy the new tag.
Note: Tag ID is required for event postbacks only.
- Set the Pinterest Tag ID here.
- Turn In-App Event Postbacks on.
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK-defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Fill in the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated with your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on Pinterest's side.
Obtain the corresponding Event ID from Pinterest and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Attribution link tab
Learn more about attribution link structure and parameters.
To generate an attribution link, follow these instructions.
Attribution link for retargeting campaign
Pinterest advises using OS-specific attribution links for retargeting campaigns. Select the Use a single-platform link option and add the necessary parameters to the retargeting attribution link.
Deep Link URL
Deep linking from within a pin will work correctly only when your app is allowlisted by Pinterest.
Contact your Pinterest representative or email email@example.com to be allowlisted for deep linking.
Use this field if the link is meant to deep link users to any specific activity within your app.
Once you set Pinterest's cost, don't change the name of any running campaign, ad set, or single ad, nor use dynamic macros with the campaign name parameter, as they may cause serious discrepancies or missing cost data.
Enabling and testing Pinterest integration
AppsFlyer gets cost details by API. See the ad network cost integration table for full details on the supported dimensions, metrics, and features. Note: Cost data requires an ROI360 subscription.
To enable the cost API:
- Follow these integration instructions.
Cost data sync status
View your cost API status and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data in either the cost (and ad revenue) integration status dashboard, or in the individual ad network dashboard.
Stop Pinterest cost sync
To delete a connected account:
- In the actions column, hover over an account, click Delete connection. Once deleted, AppsFlyer stops getting the cost. Deleting the connection doesn't impact historical data.
Ad revenue tab
Ad Revenue data is not supported by this partner.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Pinterest. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Pinterest, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to Pinterest.
Learn more about the permissions you can grant Pinterest.
Cost tab error message: No matching data means that the Pinterest account that you connected to AppsFlyer is not the correct Pinterest account. No data was found that matches the app. You should log in to Pinterest with different credentials