AppsFlyer's Audiences tool is designed to enable advertisers to easily segment and create groups of mobile users, organic and non-organic, directly from within the AppsFlyer platform. Audiences can be shared with integrated partners (or uploaded to a 3rd party such as Amazon S3 or Slack), primarily for the purpose of running personalized retargeting campaigns and to power ‘lookalike’ targeting campaigns and exclusion lists.
AppsFlyer’s Audiences tool allows you to build complex user segments across multiple time ranges, event values and dimensions, while getting accurate size estimations almost instantly.
Every day, your configured Audiences are updated with the latest user data, and uploaded to your selected partners. This allows you to create an Audience only once, while having its data is constantly updated to fit the filters previously chosen.
Audiences can be found under Labs in the AppsFlyer dashboard left-hand toolbar:
To create an audience, follow these steps:
1. Click Add Audience from the Audiences window.
The Audience Builder i displayed where you can configure and connect the Audience:
2. Add a value to the Audience Name field - this is mandatory:
3. Select the app for the audience user base:
4. Click Add Filter to add a custom filter.
Filter Users: You can construct Audiences using Install/Uninstall events, App Launches, views and Clicks, In-app events, Geo, Clicks, App and OS versions.
If a filtered event contains attributes, click Add Event Attribute.
You can add multiple attributes filters for the same event:
5. If additional criteria are required, step 3 can be repeated multiple times. All conditions must be met (AND connection) for any user to be included in an audience.
6. The Audience Builder provides a fast and accurate estimate of the audience size. The estimation is calculated in real time, and is located at the bottom of your current Audience filters.
7. When completed, click Save Audience and Proceed.
- You can define Installed, Uninstalled, Launched, Did Not Launch, Did Event and Did Not Do Event for the last 1,2,7,14,30,60 or 90 Days (e.g. launched in the last 90 days).
- Did Event and Did Not Do Event allows you to select an in-app event and criteria of "at least", "exactly" or "at most" number of in the last 1,2,7,14,30,60, or 90 days (eg. did af_purchase at least 3 times in the last 7 days)
- Event Attributes allows you to select in-app event values conditions Is, greater than or lower than.
- Country criteria options are Is or Is Not from a list of predefined countries
- App version and OS version options are Is or Is Not from a list of values from the app data
Connecting and Uploading Audiences To Partners
To automatically upload audiences to integrated partners, you must first establish a connection with the partner.
1. Click the Connect Tab on the top of the Audience builder:
2. Click the partner that you want to connect with:
3. Follow the specific instructions (Log in / Enter credentials) for each of the partners in the promoted configuration screen.
4. Once the connection with a partner is established, select all the audiences you want to connect with the partner and click Save Connections:
4. Click Close to exit the Audience builder.
Once saved, AppsFlyer uploads your Audiences to their designated partner once a day.
- For details on the Audiences integration with the various networks click here
- The list of partners above is not final, some connections are not yet available and more will be added in the future. Currently the fully supported networks are: Facebook, inmobi, IronSource, TapJoy, Slack, Amazon S3 and Yahoo Gemini.
- Clients only see the available partners
- You must repeat step (3) for every new audience you create.
- You only need to establish a connection to a partner once. The connection remains established for future audiences.
After creating your first Audience and connecting it to a partner, go to the Audiences’ window to view and manage all of your Audiences:
From this screen, you are able to perform multiple actions on your Audiences, as well as view additional information about them:
1. Search for existing audiences:
2. Add new audiences:
3. Perform Bulk actions on multiple audiences after selecting them:
4. Under the Actions column, you can perform multiple actions on your Audience, such as View History, Upload to a partner, Download as CSV, Duplicate and Delete:
- View History allows you to view the upload history of that audience. As your Audiences update daily, you can view the users list size differences throughout its lifecycle:
- Duplicate Audience allows you to make a copy of the selected Audience, with the exact same filters as the original. In addition, you can also choose which partner connections to inherit from the original Audience.
5. The Audience Panel also allows you to view information such as:
- Current Audience Size
- Partner upload status
- Last Upload Time
Set out below are several examples for user segments we can find, estimate and target in just a few seconds, using the Audience builder.
1. Users who installed the app in the last week, and spent 1$ in it:
2. Users from New York who uninstalled the app in the last month:
3. Users who installed the app in the last week and logged in with Facebook onboarding:
Using Clicks and Views for Effective Remarketing with Audiences
Remarketing is an advanced method of advertising to audiences who have already watched or even clicked ads for your apps, but have not converted yet. Sometimes users from these audiences need more convincing or just reminders to convert. Since these users have a high chance of converting, as a marketer, every dollar you spend on remarketing to them could have significantly better results than advertising to new audiences.
You can create Laser targeted audiences for remarketing based on clicks and impressions data collected by AppsFlyer.
Consider building an audience of users that clicked on an ad, but didn't install in the last 2 days.
These are users that were very recently interested enough in your mobile app to click on your ad, but for some reason didn't install (or did install, but didn't launch it yet). Some of these users just need a gentle reminder of your app to install it. Others may need to see more screens or features of your app to finally convert. Therefore, if you have a primary creative you use on new audiences, it is advisable to use a different creative for audiences that clicked, but haven't installed yet.
- The Audience user base updates on a daily basis and so only contains devices data from the previous day and backwards.
- Once the update process is completed, audiences are automatically uploaded to the connected partners.
- With some partners AppsFlyer uploads only the new generated devices and deletes the expired devices on the partner's side automatically. With the rest of the partners AppsFlyer uploads the full list. Either way, once AppsFlyer generates an audience, the relevant partners are fully updated.
- The event values and attributes are extracted from your existing AppsFlyer data, so you can choose custom events as well as native AppsFlyer events.
- At least one positive condition is required to create the base audience, which can be reduced by further negative conditions (eg. ‘installed the app’ AND ’did not do af_purchase event’).
- Segmentation whereby at least one of the conditions must be met (OR) is currently not supported.
- Windows Phone is not supported.
- Audiences cannot have their names changed on the connected partners’ side.
- Nested event values are not supported.
- When creating audience, at times, not all the events appear. Only the top 100 appear, however, when you begin entering the event name, all the events are then shown.