eAppLovin, an AppsFlyer integrated partners, is a well-known ad network for mobile app traffic.
In addition to click-based mobile attribution, AppLovin also offers cost, ad revenue and view-through attribution, which you can record with AppsFlyer.
To configure your campaigns with AppLovin, follow the steps below.
Setting up AppLovin
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "AppLovin" in the search field and click on its logo to open AppLovin's configuration window.
AppLovin's configuration window includes 5 tabs: Integration, Attribution link, Cost, Ad Revenue, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
- The General Settings step in the Integration tab is mandatory for all partners
- All the rest of the steps are either descriptive or optional
On the first visit here, you will need to toggle ON the Activate Partner button to enable setup of the integration tab's parameters. The toggle MUST be ON for as long as you work with the partner.
For more details about partner activation please click here.
As an ALL-Installs network, AppLovin prefers to receive postbacks for all new installs of your app from ANY source, including organic. It is recommended to select *Events attributed to any partner* to send all install postbacks to AppLovin.
AppLovin connects with AppsFlyer via a unique sdk_key. If you don't already have the sdk_key, you must obtain it from AppLovin to continue with the integration.
Enable View-Through attribution
Toggle this to ON if you want to attribute view-through installs from AppLovin. The view-through lookback slider is available on the attribution link tab (described below).
AppsFlyer can send automatic postbacks to AppLovin following user installs and re-engagements. Use this section to define the source of the users that allow sending these postbacks.
Select Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to AppLovin.
Select Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to AppLovin.
In-app events settings
In this section you can map which of your AppsFlyer events to send to AppLovin via postbacks.
- Set the AppLovin sdk_key again here.
- Toggle In-App Event Postbacks to ON.
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Fill in the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated in your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on AppLovin's side.
Obtain the corresponding Event name from AppLovin and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Attribution link tab
This tab is divided into different sections:
Attribution link parameters
In this section, select which parameters you want to add to the attribution link.
Adding parameters to the attribution link here enables you to later perform thorough drill-down analyses. Parameters that are already defined on the attribution link can be edited by adding them and their new values here.
- Campaign - add it to compare different campaigns running with AppLovin.
Attribution link parameter: c
- Adset - set ad set names to compare different ad sets within specific AppLovin campaigns.
Attribution link parameter: af_adset
- Ad Name - set ad set names to compare different creatives within specific ad sets within specific AppLovin campaigns.
Attribution link parameter: af_ad
- Site ID and Sub Site ID - set Site ID parameter to attribute installs to specific publishers. If many publishers exist, we advise on limiting the number of used site IDs and using the sub site ID parameter, to avoid exceeding the site ID limitations.
Attribution link parameters: af_siteid and af_sub_siteid
- Subscriber Parameters - use any of the 5 subscriber parameters to insert useful values. Note that these parameters get parsed and appear in the raw data report, which makes them very handy for performing data aggregation or filtering.
Attribution link parameters: af_sub1, af_sub2, af_sub3, af_sub4, af_sub5
Add any other parameter to the attribution link simply by typing it in a new parameter box. For more information about AppsFlyer's Attribution Link Structure and Parameters.
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to AppLovin.
Attribution link parameter: af_click_lookback
More details about the click lookback window here.
Click attribution link
This is the attribution link that contains all the setup information you have set for it. Send it to AppLovin to be activated when leads click on a corresponding ad.
View-through attribution lookback window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to AppLovin, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
Attribution link parameter: af_viewthrough_lookback
More details about the view-through attribution here.
Impressions attribution link
The impression attribution link contains similar attribution data to the click recording link (besides the different lookback window). Send it to AppLovin to be activated when a corresponding ad is watched.
Read more about how Apploving defines clicks and views.
AppsFlyer gets cost details by API.
|Media source||Campaign||Adset||Ad||Geo||Site ID|
Before you begin:
- In your Apploving dashboard, get your API credentials. You need:
- API Key
To enable the cost API:
- In the Cost tab, enable Get Cost Data.
- Complete the credential fields.
- Click Save Cost.
- Click Test Connection
The message API connection verified displays. The API is active. AppsFlyer collects data from the partner 6 times a day, on average once every four hours.
Cost data sync status
The cost tab shows the status of your cost integration and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data.
The table below describes five different status messages, and what to do if you see them in the cost tab.
|Status Message||Description||What to Do|
|Partner API is responding and returning data.||
With sync message:
Cost Data was never successfully pulled
One of the following is possible:
No Matching Data
AppsFlyer queries this app's active campaigns with the Partner API, but the partner API isn't returning any data for these campaigns.
This might happen if you change the campaign ID while it is still running.
If you rely on cost data, do not change the IDs of campaigns while they are still active and running.
Also, make sure you entered the API credentials for the correct app, and that the network is passing the correct campaign IDs on the attribution link.
Partner API is not responding
The ad network cost data API is either down or experiencing issues.
Wait for the network API to become responsive.
|Cost API credentials are incorrect. AppsFlyer in unable to pull cost data.||
Make sure that the cost API key is correct.
Last successful data pull
The cost tab shows the last time cost data has been pulled yet. If cost data has never been pulled, the sync message shows Cost Data was never successfully pulled.
Scenario 1: Stopped campaigns
AppsFlyer pulls cost for several campaigns that you run with ad network A. You look in the cost tab and you see the message Last successful sync 2 hours ago. The same day you stop running campaigns with ad network A. Two weeks later, you look in the cost tab of ad network A. You then see the message Last successful sync 14 days ago.
Scenario 2: Ad network API issues
AppsFlyer pulls cost for several campaigns that you run with ad network B. You look in the cost tab and you see the message Last successful sync 2 hours ago. Ad network B then experiences issues with their API. It takes them a few hours to fix it. When you look in the cost tab you see the message Last successful sync 8 hours ago.
Ad revenue tab
- Applovin MAX provides ad revenue mediation with aggregate data.
- About ad revenue attribution (ad monetization)
Before you begin:
You need to get the :
- App package name
- Report Key. Use the following link to retrieve the Report Key from AppLovin.
To enable the ad revenue API for the partner:
- Go to the Ad Revenue tab.
- Enable Get Ad Revenue Data.
- Complete the credential fields.
- Select an Event Source.
Ad Revenue Event automatically populates.
- Click Save Ad Revenue.
- Click Test connection.
- Do one of the following:
- Applovin sends ad revenue that it generated itself.
- Ad revenue from mediation partners such as ironSource and Unity may be displayed on the Applovin dashboard, but is not sent to AppsFlyer. Enable other mediation partners in AppsFlyer's dashboard to send ad revenue data directly to AppsFlyer.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant AppLovin. Note that even if attribution is disabled for AppLovin, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to AppLovin.
Ad network permissions
Use these toggles to give the ad network permissions to handle its own configuration for your app:
- Allow to configure integration - permit the partner to setup the integration tab (except in-app event postbacks)
- Allow to configure in-app event postbacks - permit the partner to setup in-app event postbacks mapping to itself on the integration tab
- Allow access to your retention report - only to the partner's own retention data
- Allow access to your aggregate loyal user data - only to the partner's own loyal user data
- Allow access to your aggregate in-app events data - only to the partner's own in-app events data
- Allow access to your aggregate revenue data - only to the revenue data attributed to the partner
- Allow access to your Protect360 dashboard - only to the partner's own Protect360 data, and providing the feature is enabled for the advertiser
Learn more about granting ad network permissions.