At a glance: Chartboost, an AppsFlyer ad network integrated partner, is one of the largest mobile games-only ad platforms to increase revenue. In addition to click-based mobile attribution, Chartboost also offers cost, ad revenue, and view-through attribution, which you can record with AppsFlyer.
Integrating Chartboost SDK is only necessary if you act as a Chartboost publisher and wish to attribute ad revenue. Otherwise, AppsFlyer SDK is all that is required. For more information, see this article's ad revenue section.
Setting up Chartboost
The setup is done from the partner integration setup page, but to find the partner you must first go to the marketplace.
Before setting up an integration, make sure you contact the partner and open an account with them.
To activate the integration:
- Go to the Marketplace: From the top menu of any AppsFlyer page, click Marketplace.
- Search for the partner and select it.
- Click Set up integration. You’re directed to the integration setup page.
- In the Integration tab, turn on Activate partner.
Note: The toggle must stay on (activated) for as long as you work with the partner.
- Complete the configuration using the relevant tabs, as described below.
The Integration Tab is divided into different sections as described below.
The partner must be activated by switching on the Activate partner toggle on the first visit, to enable its setup.
Chartboost App ID and Signature
Chartboost requires connecting with AppsFlyer via a unique app ID and a signature. If you do not know yours, you can obtain it directly from Chartboost.
Enable View-Through attribution
Toggle ON if you want to attribute view-through installs from Chartboost. The view-through lookback slider is available in the Attribution link tab.
Send automatic postbacks to Chartboost following installs and rejected installs. Use this section to define the source of the users for the postbacks.
Select This partner only for installs coming only from users attributed to Chartboost.
Select All sources, including organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to Chartboost.
Rejected installs can be sent for This partner only.
As of July 1, 2020, we no longer send launch postbacks to Chartboost. If your integration was set up before this date, there may be changes to your configurations. The following table explains possible changes and your actions, where applicable:
Will be updated to
Your next actions
Send to Chartboost all launches (from all media sources, including organic)
Send to Chartboost:
No further actions required. This update has no actual impact on the configuration.
In-app events settings
In this section, you can configure in-app event postbacks that are sent to Chartboost.
To configure in-app event postbacks:
- Activate In-app event postback.
- Choose whether to report selected events to the partner, or all of them.
- Note: If you choose to report all events, the af_app_opened event is not reported.
- If you choose to manually select events, click Add event to add an SDK Event to the list.
Parameter name Description SDK event name (required for manual selection only) The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK, or from server-to-server events.
Tip: If you don't see the event you want in the list, activate this event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
Sending option Select the sending option for the event:
This partner only for events coming only from users attributed to Chartboost.
All sources, including organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
Send event data
- No values & no revenue: sends only the event itself without the event value.
- Values & no revenue: sends all the parameters excluding the revenue value.
- Values & revenue: sends all the event parameters, including the revenue value (if exists in the event).
- Click Save.
Attribution link tab
This tab is divided into different sections:
Attribution link parameters
In this section, select which parameters you want to add to the attribution link.
Adding parameters to the attribution link here enables you to later perform thorough drill-down analyses. Parameters that are already defined on the attribution link can be edited by adding them and their new values here.
Campaign - add it to compare different campaigns running with Chartboost.
Attribution link parameter: c
Adset - set ad set names to compare different ad sets within specific Chartboost campaigns.
Attribution link parameter: af_adset
Ad Name - set ad set names to compare different creatives within specific ad sets within specific campaigns Chartboost.
Attribution link parameter: af_ad
Site ID and Sub Site ID - set Site ID parameter to attribute installs to specific publishers. If many publishers exist, we advise on limiting the number of used site IDs and using the subsite ID parameter, to avoid exceeding the site ID limitations.
Attribution link parameters: af_siteid and af_sub_siteid
Subscriber Parameters - use any of the 5 subscriber parameters to insert useful values. Note that these parameters get parsed and appear in the raw data report, which makes them very handy for performing data aggregation or filtering.
Attribution link parameters: af_sub1, af_sub2, af_sub3, af_sub4, af_sub5
Add any other parameter to the attribution link simply by typing it in a new parameter box. For more information about AppsFlyer Attribution Link Structure and Parameters.
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to Chartboost.
Attribution link parameter: af_click_lookback
More details about the click lookback window here.
Click attribution link
This is the attribution link that contains all the setup information you have set for it. Send it to Chartboost to be activated when leads click on a corresponding ad.
View-through attribution lookback window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to Chartboost, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
Attribution link parameter: af_viewthrough_lookback
More details about the view-through attribution here.
Impressions attribution link
The impression attribution link contains similar attribution data to the click recording link (besides the different lookback window). Send it to Chartboost to be activated when a corresponding ad is watched.
Read more about how Chartboost defines clicks and views.
AppsFlyer gets cost details by API. See the ad network cost integration table for full details on the supported dimensions, metrics, and features. Note: Cost data requires an ROI360 subscription.
To enable the cost API:
- Follow these integration instructions.
View your cost API status and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data in either the cost (and ad revenue) integration status dashboard, or in the individual ad network dashboard.
Ad revenue tab
This section is relevant if you are acting as a publisher, displaying ads of the partner to your users. As such, you would certainly like to measure the engagement of your users acquired from different sources, to find the most profitable sources for you.
To enable the ad revenue API:
- Follow these integration instructions.
As a Chartboost publisher, there are two additional requirements besides AppsFlyer configuration:
- Integrate Chartboost SDK - this is only required if you act as a publisher. If you only use Chartboost to advertise your app, AppsFlyer SDK is all you need to integrate.
- Enable Chartboost S2S - this step is required to allow AppsFlyer to query Chartboost for ad revenue data. This should not be confused with AppsFlyer S2S which is your way of sending in-app events to AppsFlyer using a dedicated API.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Chartboost, whether the partner acts as an ad network, agency, or both. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Chartboost, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to Chartboost.
Use these toggles to give the ad network permissions to handle its own configuration for your app: Ad Network Permissions
- Allow to configure integration - permit the partner to set up the integration tab (except in-app event postbacks)
- Allow to configure in-app event postbacks - permit the partner to setup in-app event postbacks mapping to itself on the integration tab
- Allow access to your retention report - only to the partner's own retention data
- Allow access to your aggregate loyal user data - only to the partner's own loyal user data
- Allow access to your aggregate in-app events data - only to the partner's own in-app events data
- Allow access to your aggregate revenue data - only to the revenue data attributed to the partner
- Allow access to your Protect360 dashboard - only to the partner's own Protect360 data, and providing the feature is enabled for the advertiser
Learn more about granting ad network permissions.
Discrepancies between Chartboost and AppsFlyer
Sometimes there are discrepancies between the Chartboost dashboard and AppsFlyer dashboard.
Advertisers should be aware of the following reasons:
Chartboost attribution window is 21 days
AppsFlyer lookback window is 7 days
** This is the main cause of discrepancies between AppsFlyer and Chartboost
Multi-Channel Source Attribution
Chartboost attribution works as specified above regardless of other sources.
AppsFlyer uses the last click attribution (For more information about AppsFlyer attribution, click here)
While Chartboost shows all installs of a retargeting campaign in the same place, on the AppsFlyer dashboard, installs are divided between the Overview page (new installs) and the Retargeting page (re-attribution and re-engagements).