At a glance: Unity Ads, an AppsFlyer ad network integrated partner, is a video ad network for iOS and Android. In addition to click-based mobile attribution, Unity Ads offers cost, ad revenue, and view-through attribution, which can be recorded in AppsFlyer.
To configure your campaigns with Unity Ads, follow the steps below.
Setting up Unity Ads
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "Unity Ads" in the search field and click on its logo to open the Unity Ads configuration window.
The Unity Ads configuration window includes 5 tabs: Integration, Attribution link, Cost, Ad Revenue, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
- The General Settings step in the Integration tab is mandatory for all partners.
- All the rest of the steps are either descriptive or optional.
On the first visit here, you will need to toggle ON the Activate Partner button to enable setup of the integration tab's parameters. The toggle must be ON for as long as you work with the partner.
For more details about partner activation click here.
Sending Device ID (Advertising ID) to Unity
At the top of the Integration tab is a note that says that Unity Ads requires AppsFlyer to send them a postback with the device ID for every install.
AppsFlyer sends the device ID automatically. You don't have to do anything on your end to send the device ID for every install.
Unity Ads Game ID
Unity Ads requires connecting with AppsFlyer via a unique game ID. If you do not know yours, you can obtain it directly from Unity Ads or you can find it once you have uploaded the game under the Acquire tab, as in the screenshot below.
The Unity Ads Platform maps one app to a single Unity Ads Game ID. Multiple accounts on the Unity Ads Platform cannot run the same app with different Game IDs.
Enable View-Through Attribution
Toggle this to ON if you want to attribute view-through installs from Unity Ads. The view-through lookback slider is available on the attribution link tab (described below).
AppsFlyer can send automatic postbacks to Unity Ads following user installs and re-engagements. Use this section to define the source of the users that allow sending these postbacks.
Select Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to Unity Ads.
Select Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to Unity Ads.
As an ALL-Installs network, Unity Ads prefers to receive postbacks for all new installs of your app from ANY source, including organic. It is recommended to select Events attributed to any partner to send all install postbacks to Unity Ads.
In-app events settings
In this section you can map your AppsFlyer events with Unity Ads via postbacks.
- Enter the game_id again.
- Toggle In-App Event Postbacks to ON.
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK-defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list.
- Complete the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated in your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on the Unity Ads side.
Obtain the corresponding Event ID from Unity Ads and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Attribution link tab
This tab is divided into different sections:
Attribution link parameters
In this section, select which parameters you want to add to the attribution link.
Adding parameters to the attribution link here enables you to later perform thorough drill-down analyses. Parameters that are already defined on the attribution link can be edited by adding them and their new values here.
Note: For Android apps that target children, Unity sends a zeroed-out advertising ID.
- Campaign - add it to compare different campaigns running with Unity Ads.
Attribution link parameter: c
- Adset - set ad set names to compare different ad sets within specific Unity Ads campaigns.
Attribution link parameter: af_adset
- Ad Name - set ad set names to compare different creatives within specific ad sets within specific campaigns Unity Ads.
Attribution link parameter: af_ad
- Site ID and Sub Site ID - set Site ID parameter to attribute installs to specific publishers. If many publishers exist, we advise on limiting the number of used site IDs and using the subsite ID parameter, to avoid exceeding the site ID limitations.
Attribution link parameters: af_siteid and af_sub_siteid
- Subscriber Parameters - use any of the 5 subscriber parameters to insert useful values. Note that these parameters get parsed and appear in the raw data report, which makes them very handy for performing data aggregation or filtering.
Attribution link parameters: af_sub1, af_sub2, af_sub3, af_sub4, af_sub5
Add any other parameter to the attribution link simply by typing it in a new parameter box. For more information about AppsFlyer's Attribution Link Structure and Parameters.
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to Unity Ads.
Attribution link parameter: af_click_lookback
More details about the click lookback window here.
Click attribution link
This is the attribution link that contains all the setup information you have set for it. Send it to Unity Ads to be activated when leads click on a corresponding ad.
View-through attribution lookback window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to Unity Ads, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
Attribution link parameter: af_viewthrough_lookback
More details about the view-through attribution here.
Impressions attribution link
The impression attribution link contains similar attribution data to the click recording link (besides the different lookback window). Send it to Unity Ads to be activated when a corresponding ad is watched.
Read more about how Unity Ads defines clicks and views.
AppsFlyer gets cost details by API. See the ad network cost integration table for full details on the supported dimensions, metrics, and features. Note: Cost data requires an Xpend subscription.
To enable the cost API:
- Follow these integration instructions.
View your cost API status and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data in either the cost (and ad revenue) integration status dashboard, or in the individual ad network dashboard.
Ad revenue tab
This section is relevant if you are acting as a publisher, displaying ads of the partner to your users. As such, you would certainly like to measure the engagement of your users acquired from different sources, to find the most profitable sources for you.
To enable the ad revenue API:
- Follow these integration instructions.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Unity Ads, whether the partner acts as an ad network, agency, or even both. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Unity Ads, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to Unity Ads.
Use these toggles to give the ad network permissions to handle its own configuration for your app:
Ad network permissions
- Allow to configure integration - permit the partner to setup the integration tab (except in-app event postbacks)
- Allow to configure in-app event postbacks - permit the partner to setup in-app event postbacks mapping to itself on the integration tab
- Allow access to your retention report - only to the partner's own retention data
- Allow access to your aggregate loyal user data - only to the partner's own loyal user data
- Allow access to your aggregate in-app events data - only to the partner's own in-app events data
- Allow access to your aggregate revenue data - only to the revenue data attributed to the partner
- Allow access to your Protect360 dashboard - only to the partner's own Protect360 data, and providing the feature is enabled for the advertiser
Learn more about granting ad network permissions.