At a glance: Unity Ads, an AppsFlyer ad network integrated partner, is a video ad network for iOS and Android. In addition to click-based mobile attribution, Unity Ads offers cost, ad revenue, and view-through attribution, which can be recorded in AppsFlyer.
To configure your campaigns with Unity Ads, follow the steps below.
Setting up Unity Ads
Prerequisite: Before setting up the integration, make sure you contact the partner and open an account with them.
To activate or edit the integration:
To activate: In AppsFlyer, from the side menu, select Collaborate > Partner Marketplace.
To edit: In AppsFlyer, from the side menu, select Collaborate > Active Integrations.
- Search for the partner and select it.
- Click Set up integration. You’re directed to the integration setup page.
- In the Integration tab, turn on Activate partner.
Note: The toggle must stay on (activated) for as long as you work with the partner.
- Complete the configuration using the relevant tabs, as described below.
The Unity Ads configuration window includes 5 tabs: Integration, Attribution link, Cost, Ad Revenue, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
- The General Settings step in the Integration tab is mandatory for all partners.
- All the rest of the steps are either descriptive or optional.
On the first visit, you will need to turn on the Activate partner toggle to setup the integration. The toggle must remain on for as long as you work with the partner.
For more details about partner activation please click here.
Sending Device ID (Advertising ID) to Unity
At the top of the Integration tab, there's a note saying that Unity Ads requires sending them the device ID for every install—this is done automatically, no need to do anything on your end.
Unity Ads Game ID
Unity Ads requires connecting with AppsFlyer via a unique game ID. If you don't know yours, you can obtain it directly from Unity Ads or you can find it, after uploading the game, under Apps > Campaigns, as shown in the screenshot below.
The Unity Ads Platform maps one app to a single Unity Ads Game ID, per account level (advertisers and agencies will have different Game IDs for the same app). Multiple accounts on the Unity Ads Platform can't run the same app with different Game IDs.
Enable View-Through attribution
Turn on this option to attribute view-through installs from Unity Ads. The view-through lookback slider is available on the attribution link tab (described below).
Send automatic postbacks to Unity Ads following user installs and re-engagements. Use this section to define the source of the users that allow sending these postbacks:
- This partner only: for events coming only from users attributed to Unity Ads.
- All media sources including organic: to have your entire user base available to be reported to Unity Ads.
As an all-installs network, Unity Ads prefers to receive postbacks for all new installs of your app from any source, and they recommended selecting All media sources including organic to send all install postbacks to Unity Ads.
In-app events settings
Map AppsFlyer events with the partner via postbacks. If postback sending is enabled, this includes rejected in-app events (events blocked by Protect360 or events found to be non-compliant with target validation rules).
To configure in-app event postbacks
- Enter the game_id. Make sure the game_id is correct and is the same as used for install attribution.
- Turn on In-app event postbacks.
- Set the In-app event postback window, if required (read more about in-app event postback window configuration).
- Click Add event to add an SDK or server-to-server event to the list.
- Complete the following parameters:
The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated into your app or from server-to-server events.
|mapped to partner event
The unique name or ID of each event, as defined on the partner's side. Possible mapping configurations are:
|for users from
Select the sending option for the event:
Select the correct SDK/server-to-server event and the corresponding partner event identifier. Do not duplicate events (do not pass the same events under different SDK/server-to-server event names).
You can send ad revenue postbacks to Unity Ads so they can optimize campaigns using ad revenue data:
- Event name: af_ad_revenue
- Mapped to: ad_revenue
Attribution link tab
More about attribution link structure and parameters.
To generate an attribution link, follow these instructions.
- When the target audience of an Android app includes children, Unity sends zeroed-out advertising IDs.
- Read more about how Unity Ads defines clicks and views.
Cost by click isn't supported. AppsFlyer gets cost details by API. See the ad network cost integration table for full details on the supported dimensions, metrics, and features.
- Cost data requires an ROI360 subscription.
- Cost data from Unity Ads can be received only for downloads coming from Google Play or Apple App Store. For Android, cost data for third-party Android app stores isn't supported.
- Agency cost isn't supported via cost by click or API. Advertisers can send agency cost data via Ad Spend Ingestion.
To enable the cost API:
- Follow these integration instructions. Note: For Unity cost integrations, all apps with the same API key must contain the same Org ID. Otherwise, pulling cost data is affected.
View your cost API status and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data in either the cost (and ad revenue) integration status dashboard, or in the individual ad network dashboard.
Ad revenue tab
This section is relevant if you are acting as a publisher, displaying ads of the partner to your users. As such, you would certainly like to measure the engagement of your users acquired from different sources, to find the most profitable sources for you.
To enable the ad revenue API:
- Follow these integration instructions.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Unity Ads to perform certain actions. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Unity Ads, the permissions tab is active and you can grant Unity Ads permissions.
Learn more about the permissions you can grant.