To use Facebook mobile app ads, you just need to create a Facebook application. This does not mean you have to implement Facebook Login or integrate your app with Facebook; you only need an app on Facebook to get the Facebook app ID. If you do not already have one, you can create this by visiting the App Dashboard and clicking Create New App under Apps. You are asked to complete a name for your app, and a unique namespace.
Setting-Up Facebook Tracking
To start tracking Facebook campaigns with AppsFlyer, follow these steps:
- When you define your mobile app on Facebook you get its Facebook App ID.
Copy your Facebook App ID and head to your app's dashboard on AppsFlyer.
- Click on Integrated Partners link on the left bar.
- Search for Facebook and click on its logo to open the Facebook setup page.
- Click inside the Facebook App ID box and paste.
- We recommend the Click Attribution Lookback Window is set to 28 days to match with Facebook.
- If you wish to enable View-Through attribution with Facebook first check its box, then set the View-Through attribution lookback window to 1 day, again to match with Facebook's value.
- Press Save &Close.
- Congratulations! You have completed basic tracking for Facebook mobile campaigns with AppsFlyer!
With Facebook you can see data broken down not only by campaigns, ad sets and ads, but also by Facebook channels. Facebook channel means users from the Facebook app, Instagram means users from the Instagram app and AudienceNetwork are users from other apps that belong to or are affiliated with Facebook. Use this data to compare the quality of users that you get from the different channels of Facebook.
Facebook and Agencies
Agencies and FMPs can run and track Facebook campaigns on behalf of advertisers on AppsFlyer, or even alongside the advertisers' own Facebook campaigns. In order for the agency campaigns to be attributed to the agency, the campaign name MUST begin with the agency's name. For more details about agencies and Facebook install tracking please go here.
In addition, agencies can't alter the Facebook look back windows and retargeting toggle. Rather, they need to ask the advertiser to perform these changes if they're needed.
In-App Events Mapping
Advertisers can easily map their in-app events, SDK or S2S, with Facebook's pre-defined events.
By this advertisers can automatically build audiences on Facebook, based on their most important user KPIs. These audiences can later be used for retargeting campaigns, or for user acquisition campaigns with look-alike audiences on Facebook.
To learn how to set in-app events mapping with Facebook please go here.
Facebook Audience Network Ad Revenue
To configure the ad revenue attribution for Facebook Audience Network, follow these steps:
1. Click the Ad Revenue tab on the Facebook Configuration page.
2. Configure the parameters in the supported Facebook configuration page:
- Event Source
- The event representing your ad revenue model in the best possible way. For example, if your revenue is based on impressions, it is recommended to send AppsFlyer an ad viewed event. The best event can be configured for each monetization platform separately.
However, it is also possible to use the
af_app_opened event. In this case, ad revenue is attributed for every app open performed by the user.
- Ad Revenue Event
- A read-only field presenting the new ad revenue event called [source event]_monetized (e.g. Ad_Watched_Monetized as displayed above). The ad revenue event is presented in the dashboard as an additional event.
3. Enable Facebook Ad Revenue.
Check to enable collection of Facebook Audience Network Ad Revenue.
4. Click Connect.
Login with your Facebook credentials to authorize Facebook Audience Network Ad Revenue.
5. Click Save & Close.
By default Facebook sends only the conversion and engagement data. However, you can easily also start getting clicks, impressions and cost data for your Facebook campaigns.
1. Go to Facebook's setup window on AppsFlyer
2. Click on Terms of service (highlighted in blue in the capture below)
3. Continue on Facebook and agree to the terms of service
OR go directly to Facebook here.
Once agreed, historical Facebook RAW data are available in AppsFlyer.
If you do use both SDKs make sure NOT to pass to Facebook's SDK any in-app events sent to AppsFlyer, to avoid double reporting on Facebook.