Snapchat, one of AppsFlyer's integrated partners, is a Self-Reporting Network (SRN), so unlike most of the media sources, you can't attribute mobile installs from it using any attribution links. Instead, AppsFlyer's deep integration with Snapchat delivers all your mobile attribution data from Snapchat, once the quick setup is completed.
In addition to click-based mobile attribution, Snapchat also offers cost and view-through attribution, which you can record with AppsFlyer.
Snapchat requires attribution providers to delete its user-level data 12 months after the install. This means that the events performed by these users 12 months after they install the app are counted as organic.
Past aggregate data remains the same.
To configure your campaigns with Snapchat, follow the steps below.
Setting Up Snapchat
Go to the dashboard of your app and click on Integrated Partners on the left bar.
Enter "Snapchat" in the search field and click on its logo to open the Snapchat configuration window.
Accept the Terms and Conditions for Mobile App Conversion Recording and click Accept.
The Snapchat configuration window includes 3 active tabs: Integration, Cost, and Permissions. Click on the items below to read about the tabs setup.
For a detailed description of the Partner Configuration Window Header, click here.
- The General Settings step in the Integration tab is mandatory for all partners
- All the rest of the steps are either descriptive or optional
The Integration Tab is divided into different sections as described below.
On the first visit here, you will need to toggle the Activate Partner button to enable setup of the integration tab's parameters. The toggle MUST be ON for as long as you work with Snapchat.
For more details about partner activation please click here.
Enable Activate Partner to allow attribution to Snapchat.
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from click to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within the lookback window may be attributed to Snapchat.
More details about the click lookback window here.
View-Through Attribution Lookback Window
This slider allows you to set the maximum time from impression to install. Only installs (first launches) that take place within this lookback window, following an ad impression, are attributed to Snapchat, providing there was no other relevant ad click.
You can customize this value to 1-23 hours or 1-7 days.
More details about the view-through attribution here.
In-App Events Settings
In this section you can map your AppsFlyer events with Snapchat via postbacks.
- Toggle In-App Event Postbacks to ON
When enabling the Snapchat in-app events mapping for an app for the first time, all the af_XXX events from the SDK are automatically mapped to Snapchat's pre-defined event list. This automatic mapping saves you time and decreases mapping mistakes significantly.
- Select the Sending Option for all SDK defined events.
- Only events attributed to this partner for events coming only from users attributed to this partner
- Events attributed to any partner or organic to have your entire user base available to be reported to the partner
- Click Add Event to add an SDK Event to the list
- Complete the following parameters:
|SDK Event Name||The name of the event, as received by AppsFlyer either from the SDK integrated in your app, or from server to server events.
Tip - If you don't see the event you want in the list, make sure to activate the event on a device with a non-organic installation and recheck.
|Partner Event Identifier||The unique name or ID of each event as defined on Snapchat's side.
Obtain the corresponding Event ID from Snapchat and set in the text field.
|Send Revenue||When unchecked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters of the rich in-app event to the partner, except for the revenue parameter, which is contained in the af_revenue parameter.
When checked - AppsFlyer sends all the parameters including the revenue value (if it exists in the event).
Attribution Link Tab
For all SRNs, such as Facebook, Apple Search Ads, Adwords, Snapchat etc. this tab is not functional, as they do not use external attribution links.
Enabling And Testing Snapchat Cost Integration
Cost Data Sync Status
The cost tab shows the status of your cost integration and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data.
Snapchat allows you to sync several accounts for pulling cost data. For each synced account, AppsFlyer shows the status of cost integration and the last time AppsFlyer managed to pull matching cost data.
The table below describes five different status messages, and what to do if you see them in the cost tab.
|Status Message||Description||What to Do|
|Partner API is responding and returning data.||
With sync message:
Cost Data was never successfully pulled
One of the following is possible:
|No Matching Data||
AppsFlyer queries this app's active campaigns with the Partner API, but the partner API isn't returning any data for these campaigns.
This might happen if you change the campaign ID while it is still running.
If you rely on cost data, do not change the IDs of campaigns while they are still active and running.
Also, make sure you entered the API credentials for the correct app, and that the network is passing the correct campaign IDs on the attribution link.
|Partner API is not responding||
The ad network cost data API is either down or experiencing issues.
Wait for the network API to become responsive.
|Invalid Credentials||Cost API credentials are incorrect. AppsFlyer in unable to pull cost data.||
Make sure that the cost API key is correct.
Last Successful Data Pull
The cost tab shows the last time cost data has been pulled yet. If cost data has never been pulled, the sync message shows Cost Data was never successfully pulled.
Scenario 1 - Stopped Campaigns
AppsFlyer pulls cost for several campaigns that you run with ad network A. You look in the cost tab and you see the message Last successful sync 2 hours ago. The same day you stop running campaigns with ad network A. Two weeks later, you look in the cost tab of ad network A. You then see the message Last successful sync 14 days ago.
Scenario 2 - Ad Network API Issues
AppsFlyer pulls cost for several campaigns that you run with ad network B. You look in the cost tab and you see the message Last successful sync 2 hours ago. Ad network B then experiences issues with their API. It takes them a few hours to fix it. When you look in the cost tab you see the message Last successful sync 8 hours ago.
Stop Snapchat Cost Sync
- Log in to your Snapchat account using a browser.
- In the Manage My Account page, click Manage Apps.
- Click the trash bin icon next to AppsFlyer.
- In the confirmation dialog, click Revoke.
- To avoid discrepancies in cost data, set the same timezone in both app settings and your Snapchat advertising account.
- When setting up your campaign, ensure your campaign is per-platform - either iOS or Android - not both, otherwise you see the cost of both platforms.
- Once you set Snap's cost do not change the name of any running campaign, ad set or single ad, as it may cause serious discrepancies or missing cost data.
Ad Revenue Tab
Ad Revenue is not supported in the integration with this partner.
In this tab, you can select the permissions to grant Snapchat, whether the partner acts as an ad network, agency or even both. Note that even if attribution is disabled for Snapchat, the permissions tab is active and you can grant control to Snapchat.
Use these toggles to give the ad network permissions to handle its own configuration for your app:
Ad Network Permissions
- Allow to configure integration - permit the partner to setup the integration tab (except in-app event postbacks)
- Allow to configure in-app event postbacks - permit the partner to setup in-app event postbacks mapping to itself on the integration tab
- Allow access to your retention report - only to the partner's own retention data
- Allow access to your Protect360 dashboard - only to the partner's own Protect360 data, and providing the feature is enabled for the advertiser
Learn more about granting ad network permissions.
Retargeting and Deep Linking with Snapchat
Although the retargeting integration between Snapchat and AppsFlyer is still in the works, it is quite easy to start retargeting campaigns on Snapchat. The solution is based on using a native deep link in Snapchat's platform, while adding AppsFlyer parameters to it. Follow these instructions:
- Make sure you have enabled deep linking for retargeting to work on Snapchat
- Make sure retargeting is enabled in AppsFlyer
- Take the app's deep link scheme URI and add at least the following parameters:
- PID - The media source in this case is always snapchat_int. This enables all data to appear in the AppsFlyer dashboard under the Snapchat_int media source.
- C - the relevant campaign name
- is_retargeting=true - this field defines the campaign as a retargeting campaigns. The engagements of existing users with the retargeting campaign, are marked as re-engagements due to the existence of this field in the URI. This ensures the user's data appear in the retargeting dashboard.
How to Setup Deep Links on Snap platform?
- Go to "Drive traffic to app" opportunity type
- Add the deep link URI in at Ad Creation level, screenshot below:
Setting Up Snapchat for Agencies
Agency Snapchat attribution setup is similar to that of the advertiser.
To complete the setup, two steps are required:
- The advertiser client MUST select Enable Attribution from the advertiser's dashboard:
- On the agency's dashboard, on the Snapchat configuration page, the Snapchat account ID text area is enabled as seen below. Agencies can enter up to 50 different Snapchat account IDs in the text area. All consequent attribution data coming from those accounts is visible only under the agency's dashboard afterwards.
Snapchat account IDs MUST NOT be shared between the advertiser or the agency. If they are shared then ALL the advertiser's installs are automatically attributed on the agency's dashboard.